Where do I stick my thermometer...careful!

EdRowe

Found some matches.
My 2005 WSM 18 smoker didn't come with a thermometer so I ordered a River Country 3 in adjustable. I noticed that the newer models have the thermometer in the upper part of the dome rather than closer to the racks. On my UDS I put my thermometer between the two racks.

Any suggestions on where to place this temp gauge when it comes in?

I would put it where your food cooks. Dome isn't that helpful as it will read higher than the grates and make you run it colder than you should, unless you work out the temp offset.

Last edited:
I would give it some additional thought. Normally I would say grate level is the place to be, however on the WSM if you try to stick it at grate level you may have the same "Off" readings. If you are using a water pan/diffuser the hot air flow will come up the sides of the smoker. If you have a standard therm the probe is probably quite short and may be in the "flow zone" instead of over the grate where the food is located. Measure twice cut once!

I would give it some additional thought. Normally I would say grate level is the place to be, however on the WSM if you try to stick it at grate level you may have the same "Off" readings. If you are using a water pan/diffuser the hot air flow will come up the sides of the smoker. If you have a standard therm the probe is probably quite short and may be in the "flow zone" instead of over the grate where the food is located. Measure twice cut once!

:thumb:

Guess not going with a mounted thermo is out of the question? Me? I'd buy a DOT with a grate clip and run that. The mounted ones look cool/traditional- but if you have to worry about them being calibrated or having to figure some "offset temp" because of placement, it is worth it?

Back