THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bob3

Knows what a fatty is.
I've used a cheap canopy tent on my lawn when cooking with my WSM and I've also add a chimney + kettle cover for a quicker, more macgyver solution. I now have a pellet grill (MAK 1 Star) on my deck. Neither of these solutions work for the pellet pooper. The only thing I can think of is a patio umbrella, which isn't cheap, would serve no other purpose and would add to clutter on the deck. My wife said "what do the brethren do?", because she doesn't want the umbrella on the deck and knows the brethren are awesome. If you have a grill/smoker on a deck, how do you cover it during a long cook if it rains, or if rain is expected? Thanks!

I've got four patio umbrellas. I buy quality at end of season. You can find them 70/80% off then.

Here are the pics. I'd rather not do something too extensive like add a canopy to the house. The deck is empty because I stained it a few days ago. In the top pic, I keep it right corner. I took this before I wheeled it out. I normally have a gas grill opposite the house and a small table + 2 chairs in the middle.

Attachments

• 20160528_135220.jpg
    20160528_135220.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 20160528_135716.jpg
    20160528_135716.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 20160528_135743.jpg
    20160528_135743.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 317
Do you drape it over the entire smoker? Doesn't it hurt airflow, both smoke out and oxygen in? I like the idea because it gets cold here in the winter.

Get a welding blanket foe $20-40 on Amazon. I use it in the winter also.

I know it is redneck, but I have hooks in the soffit. I have placed a tarp on those and strung ropes to a tree to pull it away from the house. When I'm done I roll it up & hang the plant baskets from the hooks. I don't use it often, but it works.

I do something similar. It works fine for me as well!

At the opening of the garage when direct grilling but when smoking, rain doesn't mater or effect the kettle.
ps: I bought a welding blanket for my stick burner and returned it - it sheds fiberglass.
For your pellet grill??? Garage with the door open.

My patio is covered...Doesn't matter much...Sometimes the Kansas winds blow the rain underneath anyway...Still I gotta keep cookin cause I gotta eat, right? But I may think differently if electricity was involved...

Do you drape it over the entire smoker? Doesn't it hurt airflow, both smoke out and oxygen in? I like the idea because it gets cold here in the winter.
I have a YS640 and just drape it over the cooking chamber. The Yoder has a fan at one end and a stack at the other end, so air flow is not a problem. Move it out of the way when I need to. I haven't noticed the shedding.

I'm worried about the pellet grill getting wet with the electronics and electricity.

I run my Yoder in the rain all the time the electronics are pretty well protected. The big problem is when it is misty or foggy. The damp is just something to work around. If the smoker is running it keeps thing dry.

I have a 10x10 EZup tent that I use. If your deck is at least ten feet, should work for a temporary solution. Another, more expensive, option is a permanent sun setter awning. Your wifey would probably like that option..

What's rain? I think I have heard of it before, but I can't remember.... We have not seen rain in my area of Southern California is a damn long time... When it used to rain, I would stand out in it and cook anyway. :becky:

Back