What's your ideal drum smoker build?

Op-q

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Joe
Hey all! I'm a newbie here and really love all the info. However not mew to bbq. Most often I still with my drum smoker builds as I think they are really hard to beat. I've built a few over the years from dirt cheap to very nice welded temp controlled units. I find myself again ready to build a new one and hand my oldest down the line to up and coming addicts. I want this to be one of the last I build. I'm already planning a new smooth sided 55gal drum. Adjustable racking( most recent I've used pillister brackets but think I might take some 1/4"x1" straps and add some nuts or threaded inserts every 3-4" for easy consistent levels with threaded cold rolled rod for stability. Welded intakes and exhaust. I no long have any unwelded holes in my drums. No bolt holes! Custom bcf hybrid fire basket from a 30 gal drum bottom for ash catch and expand for the sides to hold a lot of fuel. Tel true thermo for kicks. Weber lid as well as a flat option if I choose. Either a removable drum dolly on bottom or large welded on casters. Unsure if this yet. And some welded slide in tubes for easy removable shelf options like an ok-joes bronco but evenly spaced so I can choose from the 4 sides but can take off for storage or transport. Wanting to see if there is anything others have tried out of the box and really liked! Hoping for a perfect home run this go around! Thanks all!

Back