THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your house temp?

• 225 and under

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 225-250

Votes: 42 19.7%
  • 250-275

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • 275-300

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • 300-325

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • 325-350

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 350-375

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 375+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How hot is 2 Mississippi?

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My sweet spot for smoking on my kamado is 225 - 250 whether it's ribs, pig leg, brisket, chicken, turkey or Peking duck.

Have not had a dry turkey breast so far, I smoke birds with with the back up so the back fat renders and bastes it automatically through the cook. The Peking duck was standing through smoking, though, but it had fat everywhere to render.

I found a local butcher who can source pig legs for $1.99 lbs. They are hard to find here. Last month we bought two for making prosciutto, a tradition we resurrected for the first time this year.

Exactly why I say it's an invalid poll....as all temps are the same. No temp is better or worse than another.

I dont even know who you are anymore :tsk:

Ninja, we have a grocery store that puts traditionally-raised (no antibiotics) whole shoulders and whole legs on sale about 2 or 3 times a year, but I have to call ahead to make sure they have some put aside for me before I visit. The cost ranges from about $2.20 to $2.59 per pound. The meat is largely broken up for regular folk, they are the only local grocery chain that still employs butchers.

I'm inexperienced enough that I figure I can't get into too much trouble keeping it low & slow (225-250) except for poultry which I've been cooking at 350. Lately, though, when cooking whole chickens, I'll halve them, cook low and then crisp the skin over the coals in the firebox at the very end. Yum!

Answer_to_Life.png

:mrgreen:

I usually start off at 225-230 and when I get up I kick it up to 255-265

kick it up you daredevil:biggrin1:

i am surprised at the lack of people cooking over 325. with all the hot and fast talk i would have thought there would be at least a few. maybe it's fading out? i don't find myself cooking over 325 much anymore unless i am pressed for time.

and what's all this crap about a trophy for everyone???:crazy:

kick it up you daredevil:biggrin1:

i am surprised at the lack of people cooking over 325. with all the hot and fast talk i would have thought there would be at least a few. maybe it's fading out? i don't find myself cooking over 325 much anymore unless i am pressed for time.

and what's all this crap about a trophy for everyone???:crazy:

It's about inclusiveness Paul!

My favorite cooker starts about 325* so that's my low and slow temp....But I'm not saying that is better than 225* though! :biggrin1:

Seriously though if the benchmark was moved up then 325 would be viewed differently. Let's say 275* was the new low (which it's heading in that direction) then 325* might be in the medium range. Look at recipes...rarely do you see a recipe that calls for less than 350*

Yes Paul im surprised that 325 seems like a line in the sand. I know for myself if i see over that i look to back things down. I know folks have cooked bbq hotter but it doesn't seem to be their norm.

I'm just really confused :confused: Can't we all just get along... trophies for everyone just like it should be for throw downs, I want a vote for everyone option as no one should feel left out. :grin:

Just speculating here but the ND avatar showing up with a Ninja from Michigan may play into this a tad. :blah:

Just speculating here but the ND avatar showing up with a Ninja from Michigan may play into this a tad. :blah:

Yes ND hates Meeeechigan with a passion :tsk:

MSU well ND respects them but thinking about when they planted the MSU flag on Notre Dames 50 yd line makes me :mad2:

Home temp 235. Comp temp 275. Chicken: Where's the nuclear option?

Back