THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We’re in charge of everything, we’ll except the dressing, we buy it from a local restaurant like everyone else does. They have the dressing down to a science and I suck at it, it’s a no brainer!

What has my attention is the cassava tortillas! I’ll be trying a recipe or two of those on Friday, flour tortillas is one thing I miss and have yet to find a decent replacement. Thanks for the idea Sako, and Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving Jeremy!

Many ways to do the cassava flour but try the below

Otto's or Anthony's brands are good the rest taste gritty

2 to 2.5 cups cassava flour

About 1tsp salt

1tsp baking soda

1 cup coconut milk (in a can)

1/4 cup oil, melter butter or ghee

1/2 to 1 cup water

Now I mostly eyeballed since cassava flours differ and some require more hydration than others. Basically you're looking for pliable, ice cream-ish consistency.

f4Os220h.jpg

MWPoTc6h.jpg

Nice!!!

We’re going off script as well with a fusion of Italian and “multiple” desserts and cider for our small gathering (bride, myself, BIL and SIL).

I’m in charge of the lasagna, Cesar salad and butter soaked garlic bread (12 sticks per loaf).

My bride is handling the pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheese cake, chocolate chip cookies, monster cookies, caramel brownies, lemon bars, cinnamon roll pound cake, sugar cookies and mulled apple cider. :shock:

Neither one of us have a huge sweet tooth so her brother better plan on bringing his truck to transport home all the leftover goodies.

One buddy's family wants to eat at 1, so it's going to be an early morning...

I could never understand why people do this at Thanksgiving knowing that it may take a big bird 5 or 6 hours to cook once it hits the oven.

Why do they want to shift dinner time from the usual 5 or 6 pm to 1 pm or 2 pm on Thanksgiving?

So you can go to somebody else's house or your own home and eat more at 5 pm?

My apologies to all who do this as a tradition, but I don't. (get it)

Off to a bit of a bad start. Set an alarm on my phone to put the breast in the fridge this morning to thaw. Forgot to switch from PM to AM, so just doing it now.

But, it'll be fine finishing the thaw in the brine tomorrow night.

2022_t10.jpg

I could never understand why people do this at Thanksgiving knowing that it may take a big bird 5 or 6 hours to cook once it hits the oven.

Why do they want to shift dinner time from the usual 5 or 6 pm to 1 pm or 2 pm on Thanksgiving?

So you can go to somebody else's house or your own home and eat more at 5 pm?

My apologies to all who do this as a tradition, but I don't. (get it)
Might be a football thing :biggrin1:

Pistachios smoked with butter and Dirty Bird for munching during the game. Wet brined turkey breast on the 1975 with pecan and cherry wood. Tri-tip on the weber kettle to 120 degrees then seared over the flames on the firebox grate. Sides and desert... not my job.

We have it easy this year by not hosting. I always do the turkeys for a spread that is sure to be pretty big, two plates to sample everything brought by others. The past few years, neighbors have asked if they could throw their birds in my smoker. It's nice to have extra room and consistency of a commercial cooker in situations like this. Three families and 5 birds.

I'm cooking my favorite and most requested recipe, a variation of Guy Fieri's Mean Green Turkey Machine. I use different peppers, skip the gravy, add extra tequila, and smoke rather than oven bake. The "backup/emergency" turkey will be simple brine and smoke, nothing fancy.

Fieri recipe
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/mean-green-turkey-machine-recipe-1920774

My recipe with photos of pepper prep and example using a chicken.
http://www.tex-cal.com/BBQBreth/MGTM/mgtm-pep-ill.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

The boss has been sick all week - and with my dad coming to visit - I am in charge of it all

Pulled pork hatch green pepper stew tonight

Breakfast casserole in the smoker tomorrow around 7 am

2 turkey breast
Pork belly brisket
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
All in the smoker tomorrow

Mashed potatoes and cream gravy on the stove inside

Store bought pumpkin pie and cool whip for desert

Happy Thanksgiving

This year, I'm in charge of watching The Missus and my SIL make everything, as well as looking in the oven and watching the turkey cook. It will be grueling, painstaking work and I hope I'm up to the challenge. :roll:

I am cooking Kung Pao chicken and Kimchi fried rice for everyone tonight, though.

Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving, and hopefully we'll see lots of pics of your feasts!

Got a few things going here. First, a smoked picanha using the Jess Pryles method rubbed with Oakridge SPGOS. Also doing a turkey breast seasoned with Harvest Brine. Lastly I will be bringing the WSM back to life to cook a heritage turkey from a local farm. I will be using the SirPorkaLot method because these birds need to be cooked at high temps and his method looks perfect for this type of bird.

Looks like we might have a challenge with rain tomorrow in N TX.
I hope it doesn’t turn out like my first turkey 20+ years ago in the cold drizzle and wind with my leaking brinkman smoker.
Was Shootin for a 1:00 meal, I think we ate at about 8:00 pm.

Oven? Nah,… well maybe as last last resort. I have an umbrella setup.

Back