What wood you use on turkey?

I've been using hickory on everything including turkey many times and liked it. However, we have a lot of wild black cherry trees in our woods. I'm wondering if that kind of cherry would be good to use.
Should be. Wild cherry is what I use here in Florida.

I did one last year on a gift that I got called a "turkey canon"kind of a horizontal beer can type contraption. Anyways, I brined it overnight, put some broth and seasonings in the tube, and I used pecan and oak and it turned out fantastic.

I would use a hatchet. A wooden club would be inhumane.

(sorry - couldn't resist)

I've been eager to try a whole turkey in my UDS for a couple of years, but there is household resistance as my bride makes an excellent oven roast turkey. I did get good reviews from a recent try at boneless skinless turkey breasts that I marinated in italian dressing, rubbed(Black's rub + ground pepper)draped some strips of bacon across and cooked with 1 chunk of oak in with the lump. Brushed with melted butter at serving - turned out well.

I didn't find the oak too overpowering, but I used a minimal amount.

I would use a hatchet. A wooden club would be inhumane.

(sorry - couldn't resist)

I've been eager to try a whole turkey in my UDS for a couple of years, but there is household resistance as my bride makes an excellent oven roast turkey. I did get good reviews from a recent try at boneless skinless turkey breasts that I marinated in italian dressing, rubbed(Black's rub + ground pepper)draped some strips of bacon across and cooked with 1 chunk of oak in with the lump. Brushed with melted butter at serving - turned out well.

I didn't find the oak too overpowering, but I used a minimal amount.
Tell her it's not a UDS, it's a wood-fired oven.

I've done pecan, oak/hickory mix, and mesquite on my big cooker....The mesquite smoke had to travel a LONG way to get to the bird and was actually quite mild.

In my vertical I use charcoal and about two chunks of Apple (mostly for heat control) and a small handful of soaked cherry chips at the very beginning. The chips give color but not a lot of smoke flavor as the burn up quick. The apple is very subtle.

I love gravy so want to go easy on the smoke!

wood update.

Finding cherry, apple, and pecan is not an easy thing to do for me, that are not either pellets or chips, hickory and oak no problem. I found some cherry, and pecan yesterday that are very small chunks, but not chips, also not like the logs or bigger chunks found in stores, or cut from the woods.

My situation now is, I have hickory, oak, and now the cherry, and pecan. I will still use the oak for heat, and plan on using a combo of cherry, plus pecan. I have always used hickory as long as I can remember, and know I will have a hard time resisting the temptation to throw some on the coals.

Question will I be defeating the purpose of the other woods should I give in and put it on, or another way to put it, given those choices, how would you go with it. I know it is kind of sounds like the same question, I am sure I will get some of the same responses already given, just thought I would ask anyway.
Dave

Because of where I live I use Pecan, however with where your at Id use Hickory for smoke, and build a bed of coals out of oak. Stuff or lay it on some oranges, garlic and onion then finish in a pan with the stuffs still in place.

The smell of smoldering cherry is my favorite...almost intoxicating. However, I am partial to pecan for the TG bird. It delivers a lighter smoke that pairs well with other items on the plate

Back