What wood you use on turkey?

Pecan is my go to wood for everything but beef which gets oak or mesquite.
I think that the other fruit woods would be good too though, peach or apple would give it a nice mild flavor.:grin:

I have settled into pecan. I have tried apple, cherry, maple, and pecan for turkeys (and a mix of them) and keep going back to just all pecan. It could simply be my tastes, but to me it doesn't overpower the bird and yet still gives a nice flavor to compliment it.

Another pecan fan here, mainly because that's what I have a lot of.

Love the smell of cherry wood and would use that if I had some.

You might assume from my nom-de-que that I use oak and hickory. For beef and pork, that's the case - oak logs and hickory chunks, or just chunks in the electric rig. For turkey, I use only oak, unless I have some decent pecan on hand, in which case that's my first choice.

I've been playing with Orange wood on poultry lately. Did a 13 pound turkey on the rotissery. Stuffed the cavity with a lemon, an orange and some garlic and rosemary.
It turned out very tasty with good color... Just tryin something new.. Larry

I use cherry and apple, with cherry getting more use lately. Also if available, try pecan as it is a different flavor profile, but very good in my opinion. I would use pecan if I could get some locally, but have no source available. Any light flavored wood will work, as turkey absorbs smoke as easy or easier than a yard bird. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Blessings,

Omar

Academy Sports has it from time to time.

Got the wood thing figured out pretty well.....mostly cherry here.....

As for T-Day finger foods, get a breast tenderloin or some other useable turkey meat & make a batch of turkey 'Turds....

7-24-20111stFattie036.jpg

Got the wood thing figured out pretty well.....mostly cherry here.....

As for T-Day finger foods, get a breast tenderloin or some other useable turkey meat & make a batch of turkey 'Turds....

7-24-20111stFattie036.jpg

Thanks for the food suggestion. I had some store bought ABTs awhile back, they were stuffed with sausage. I have bought them there before, and they were stuffed with cream cheese. I did not care for them as much as my usual cream cheese ones, but part of that was, I think was not expecting them to be filled with sausage.
Dave

I've been using hickory on everything including turkey many times and liked it. However, we have a lot of wild black cherry trees in our woods. I'm wondering if that kind of cherry would be good to use.

Back