THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
So Ive got a LP Weber thats about 21yrs old. Truth be told I am kind of done with the whole LP thing in general. My yard is not conducive for me to add a NG line so I am considering getting rid of this grill. Ive rebuilt it twice now. I am now considering going to a pellet grill but my question is, will I be happy using this for burgers chops steaks brats and all the other quick small stuff or should I consider another gas...? I also have a Primo XL but its to much for the quick small stuff...

I'm a newbie to pellet grills, but I think they are a lot more similar to gas grills than people think. I wish I would have approached my new pellet cooker as more of a grill than a smoker from the beginning.
You aren't going to be able to get it super hot, but I enjoy burgers and brats cooked a little slower. Takes a lot of the guess work out of cooking.

Might could consider picking up a used gasser off Craigslist and then get a new pellet grill as well - best of both worlds w/o breaking the bank.

A pellet cooker with a sear zone does a fine job of grilling, sometimes I grill with out the sear covers removed, That work good too

I have a Yoder 640 and a beer gasser. I actually just rebuilt the Weber last week. These two units compliment each other very well. I would say keep it or buy a new one.

I love my pellet smoker,I love my gas grill, I get great food off both, nothing lasts forever and no 2 kind of cookers will do every thing the same, the new Weber might have crossed that line, we will be seeing some real world reviews soon and companys keep coming out with new stuff all the time to keep me in trouble with the wife lol. a flat top griddle is needed just so ya know lol

For me nothing beats a gasser for those quick home at 6:30 with hungry kids waiting cooks. Turn it on as I walk in the door and by the time I change clothes it’s ready to roll.

I use my pellet cooker like a gasser. quick cooks, weeknight use, ect. it's a pitboss classic (700sq) and has a sliding plate for searing. I also have a set of grill grates. it doesn't grill as well as my kettle but I've gotten some good results after a learning curve.

I made a late night steak last night, carne asada Monday and wings and pig shots for the recent ufc fight. it's also good for things like meatloaf and is my goto for prime rib and turkey

0SFnxuQh.jpg

rXWBsm6h.jpg

CRLJeqch.jpg

XFwosA3h.jpg

XhUdXwZh.jpg

rMOA9vMh.jpg

j2KgYqwh.jpg

i even used it to win a bbq brethren throwdown

KvattSph.jpg

For quick cooks, I enjoy using my pellet pooper. 5 min for warm-up while I prep in the kitchen. Then I will throw whatever it is on and turn up the temp. Food gets a kiss of smoke as the temp rises, then I can come back in a few minutes and do my cooking.

Works well for me and my 2 cents.

I agree with using the pellet smoker like a regular grill. I stopped using my gas when I had a pellet smoker. Best part was never had any flare ups from grease dropping.

I am still gettin mixed reviews on this, man its a tough decision. I got rid of my UDS and my weber charcoal kettle when i got my Primo and its been good. The Weber gasser though has been on its last leg for a few months now and the LP fill station piss me off pretty good last go around. Its just me and the wife now and the occasional 20ish year old kid from time to time so I do not need capacity any more. I have a friend that has a Daniel Boone but thats kinda too small and i would like sumptin more permanent..

Back