What to do with all the ash...

Probably the safest way to deal with them is to keep a metal trash can with lid near your smoker. Wait several days before you dump it into your regular trash can and make sure that it is cool and all fire is out.

A worse problem is water pan water. Dumping on the ground would bring critters, and down the drain would probably clog. So I mix the water with the ash in a bag and off to the trash - Yay! I've just recycled my ash.

I put the ashes in a metal pail and let them sit for a day or two. Then I spread them in the Mrs.' flower beds or vegetable garden.

If you have a garden thats the way to go, or as Rowdycue noted, put it around tomatoes or other veggie plants in containers. I'm guessing thats all potash is anyhow.

Probably the safest way to deal with them is to keep a metal trash can with lid near your smoker. Wait several days before you dump it into your regular trash can and make sure that it is cool and all fire is out.

Thats what I started doing. It's pretty conveneint to have the metal pail next to my cookers. no more ash piles around the yard.

The metal bucket is a great tip for no matter what you plan to do with the ash, it is an easy way to get your cooker cleaned out and be able to use it right away and make sure your coals are fully exstinguished. :thumb:

I use a metal 20 gal ash can with lid. I have an empty charcoal bag inside it. It gets half full and out with the rest of the trash. In the winter I use it on the ice that the salt doesnt take care of.

Don't know how much it plays in the whole scenario, but I spread the ashes from my fireplace over my garden area in the winter and then also spread out the grass clippings I have collected over the summer and kinda mix em all up together and leave em there all winter long. In the spring I turn it all over and my tomatoes and all other plants love it there. I also toss some on the trees, shrubs etc, potted plants. never seen it have a bad effect. During the grilling and smoking season, I toss most of em in the garbage, but toward the end of the season I start collecting it again along with the clippings.

I just toss em off my deck that's about equal to a second story. They spread out over the yard and never had a problem with piles of ash sitting there.

The last thread I read was asking how to thicken BBQ sauce ... coincidence?
Don't know about you others, but that takes care of two of my problems right there!

The other day, when I was going out to dump the ash pan on my UDS. I stopped and looked at the large pile of ash I have managed to aquire. :shock: And this question occurred to me, What do people do with their ash? I know there are those out there that use their smokers almost everyday if not everyday and must be producing quite a bit of ash. So, where does it go or what can be done with it?:confused:

i throw it over the fence into the woods:rolleyes:

I have a small trash can I put them in when I clean the Egg. When that gets full I just let Big Al know and they magically disappear, so I am going on the "It's magic" theory of what happens to them.

Back