What is your go to sauce for pulled pork?

Tip: If your sauce recipe calls for water, try leaving it out and keeping all the other ingredients the same. You'd be surprised how much more flavor you'll get.

Always makes me scratch my head when a sauce recipe calls for a good amount of water, then tells you to cook it down for X amount of hours to thicken. I mean, if it takes 20 min to evaporate 1/2 cup of water at a low simmer, why even add that much. Add a 1/4 cup if there needs to be liquids in the pot and simmer for 10 min. I am being minimal in my analogy, ive seen 1-2 cups and simmers for 1-2 hours which just seems like overkill.

I like mixing the pig juice from the cook to get moist pulled pork. I usually finish it in a pan and get at least a cup, sometimes two that way.

Vinegar salt pepper if I’m pleased with the cook and the cut of pig... I use bone suckin’ Or blues hog stuff a lot as well (cut/thinned with vinegar and worchesteshire) if going for a sauce. Usually can’t heat the sauce up much as I feed kiddos so heat is on the side...

If I'm in the mood to make my own, it's always Paul Kirk's Carolina mustard. If not it's Bone Suckin Mustard or Killer Hogs Vinegar BBQ.

I've fallen out of love with pulled pork in recent years but I'm thinking i should try some of the vinegar based sauces posted here to see if I can rekindle the relationship.

Always makes me scratch my head when a sauce recipe calls for a good amount of water, then tells you to cook it down for X amount of hours to thicken. I mean, if it takes 20 min to evaporate 1/2 cup of water at a low simmer, why even add that much. Add a 1/4 cup if there needs to be liquids in the pot and simmer for 10 min. I am being minimal in my analogy, ive seen 1-2 cups and simmers for 1-2 hours which just seems like overkill.

Yes, and there are a lot of Lexington-style sauce recipes that call for a good bit of water and no cooking to reduce. I find those to be pretty flavorless. The water kind of cancels out the vinegar bite. The vinegar overtone is the whole point of a NC sauce.

Looking in my files, Blu Dawg had posted several recipes in the past...

================================================

Blu's Standard Pig Juice

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup water
2 Tbl ketchup
2 Tbl Chrystal hot sauce
1 Tbl Salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp granulated Garlic
2 Tbl red pepper flakes

Bring it to a boil and pull the pan off the heat let it cool and pour it in a clean bottle

Blu's Red Pig Juice

1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Water ( Sub Stock if desired)
3 Tbl Brown sugar
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbs Diablo jalapeno Mustard ( Sub 3 rings Pickled Jalapeno fine mince & yellar mustard)
pinch of Cayenne or to taste
1 Tbs red pepper flakes

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the Vinegar/ Water add remaining ingredients whisk to combine and bottle let stand 2-3 hrs.

Bludawg's Wild Hawg Gravy
Tn Red Clone

1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 20 oz bottle ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup paprika
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 Tbl Black pepper
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl season salt
1 Tbl chipolte powder
2 Tbl red pepper flakes
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mace

Slowly heat in a non reactive pan to a low simmer. Simmer 15 min allow to cool and bottle. Makes 1/2 gal + a pint.

I've fallen out of love with pulled pork in recent years but I'm thinking i should try some of the vinegar based sauces posted here to see if I can rekindle the relationship.

Give it a try.
We just did pulled pork egg-rolls. A vinegar mustard sauce made them pretty amazing.

Fresh,cheap white bun,PULLED{not chopped}pork( preferably a whole shoulder or a mixture of Boston butt and Picnic),cabbage slaw(sweet vinegar or Mayo "Duke's" based) and a splash or three of Crystal hot sauce.A little slather of that Duke's Mayo on one slice of the bun doesn't hurt anything either! :wink::thumb:

Back