What goes into winning National title?

Although it is theoretically feasible for a wunderkind team to succeed in the KCBS TotY competition by cooking the minimum number of events, nobody has been able to do so in my memory. The average number of contests entered by the nationally top-ranked teams in KCBS hovers around 30. Hence my figure of $30,000 = 30 contests at $1K each. (Equipment, practice costs, etc. not included)

Regardless of how much energy and talent a team has, if they can't afford to be out competing several times every month they will simply not be contenders for the KCBS TotY race.

I agree that your number of contest requited but I don't think that funding is a problem for teams in the chase. Teams in the Top 10 are winning more than enough to cover contest expenses more often than not. The cost kind of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy kind of thing. The more you win, place and show, the more you can afford to compete.

I think that for many teams, one of the bigger issues when trying to compete at that level is time. A large number of people are just not able to take the time away from work, family etc. to be able to compete 30 times a year.

Back