THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Aside from the obvious "my smoker"...

I have a WSM, an OC Smokehouse, and a pellet pooper. My go to has been my pellet pooper because I can load it up, set it at 160, and let it do its thing. But I have to use the LEM Jerky trays and hang each piece, which is very time consuming. I usually try to do 10-12 lbs at a time, and that draws out the time a lot due to over crowding. My last batch took almost 12 hours, with some being over cooked due to their arrangement in the trays.

My dehydrator is much easier, I just don't get real smoke. I have to add liquid smoke (blasphemy). I feel like an electric vertical cabinet with a ton of racks close together may be a good option...but I'm interested to hear some thoughts.

Can't help ya. I used to use my stickburner cooking at around 150 for several hours, then finish in the dehydrator overnight. But I had to stop making jerky because I have absolutely no self control. I just eat it continuously until it's gone. It's very sad. Delicious, but sad.

Maybe for the amount you do, just use multiple cookers? That way you'd also get a great idea of what result comes from what cooker to compare.

I try to bag and freeze as much as I can, but with family and friends that all smell it cooking, it goes pretty quick around my house as well. I generally only make it a few times a year for that reason! I'm considering getting some stackable SS trays to use on the pellet smoker so see if that helps with ease/time.

I use my Lang. I run a small fire, run between 150-190 for about 3 hours. Lay it right on the racks. Once it has a nice color and some smoke flavor I pull it off the Lang and it goes into the dehydrator for another 3 hours or so.

I use the Owen's BBQ Jerky Mix kits. I have mixed my own, but like theirs better!

See here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249827&highlight=jerky

how about smoke for a couple of hours then into dehydrater?

Edit didn’t see Stlsportster post before :icon_blush:

Back