What do you use to clean grill grate?

I guess one way to look at it, there is nothing on the grate, after it's heated up, worse than swallowing a steel bristle. If the top of the grate is scraped with a putty knife or piece of wood, and oiled, it's as non-stick as is possible.

I've seen numerous warnings on here about them brushes leaving wire bristles on the grates, but never had a problem with them. I generally change mine out before they get too far gone. I had one that I did let get in pretty bad shape, but I looked at the grate and food closely. At dinner time my 10yr old daughter found a wire on her food. Scared the heck out of me.

I now use these only:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Steel-Wool-Brush-with-Scraper-530-0018/206406011

I never had a problem for decades. Got the warning from a lawyer relative who I assumed was being a typical lawyer and blowing it way out of proportion. About two weeks later another relative was seriously ill and hospitalized from an ingested metal bristle, and I suddenly starting taking the risk seriously.

I burn my grates off with a Cajun Dragon. Then brush the burned carbon with a quality stainless welder's brush. I've never seen any bristles come off on the grate.

I use the kitchen sink. Must be something about this house ever since we moved in but once I put them in there they Magically seems to reappear back on my grills and smoker almost spotless. The only time it did not work was when my Wife was out of town for some strange reason. :shock:

grill grates get cleaned with balled up foil once hot. smoker grates are left alone until the gaps start closing, then get steam cleaned and reseasoned

Like others, I also thought this was a non-problem, hyped up news story until I found a bristle stuck to the grate one day. I immediately tossed all the wire brushes I had been using and searched for a suitable alternative.

Currently I'm using the Char-Broil hard nylon brushes, but the drawback with them is they're for use on cold grills only. They do work well, the brush head is replaceable and I scrub the grill before lighting the lump. Do they work as well as a bristle brush? No. But the peace of mind is worth it.

I also have a pumice-like stone that does a decent job, but I suspect it's more for round bar stainless steel grates. On both my grills it leaves a chalky residue and the triangular shape of the CI bars wears into the stone quickly.

For the Bayou Classic ceramic, I purchased a Bayou Classic stainless steel grate scraper, but it's shaped for round bar SS grates and does one bar at a time. If I position it correctly, I can scrape both sides of the CI grate bars but the process is time consuming. The end of it is somewhat U-shaped but doing one bar at a time is slow work.

I looked into those double helix cleaners. Reviews were mixed, mostly negative. Pass.

I may try the wood spatula products but since woodworking is my other passion will make my own. The idea of testing with a paint scraper is a good idea.

The news reports are real, I've seen too many of them and don't want to be the reason for a guest requiring a hospital visit.

-lunchman

I tossed the cheap wire brushes the moment my wife found a wire in her food.

I still use the wire scrubbers but only the Weber branded ones. I find they are of a much higher quality and I haven't noticed any dropped wires since I switched a couple of years ago.

I have a Grillstone knockoff from Target for my gas grill that works well.

For my charcoal ones, honestly a ball of foil seems to work pretty well for 85% of the stuff.

I found a wire bristle on my grill once. Not even in the the food and I got real freaked out after that!!!

I started using a wood scrapper, and that works ok once the grooves are burned in, but after years of hearing about using a crumpled ball of alu. foil, I finally tried it, and frankly it works better then the brushes, or scrapers. who knew, lol

I use a ball of foil when the grate cools some, stuff comes off easy when warm and fresh.

12" Welders brush, Stainless bristles. Probably not the best thing but since they are plentiful and priced right... And no I am not welder, though I have been called a mud dauber. Among other names.

f07f60160983c3ec507d913b53889e61.jpg

Those are some seriously poor looking welds! I think the apprentice should find a new shop to learn in pronto!

Anyone wish to comment on why, after finding out about the possibility of ingesting bristles from a wire brush, they continue to use one? I can not understand it and would love to hear the justification.

Back