What do you think of these wood chunks?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I'm all out of wood chunks and the dept store prices are outrageous these days.

There is this one guy on FB locally, who will sell one 5 gallon bucket full of the following pecan wood for $10. Was thinking about getting 3 buckets worth.

What do you think? Looks like I might need to split it once more after I get it, pretty big chunks?

uc

They are a bit bigger than I use in my 30 gallon uds. I like them a bit smaller than my fist- but others might differ.

You can always make them smaller but you can't make them bigger.

I can't do any cross cuts to them but I could split them further if long smaller pieces are okay. I usually use smaller wood chunks in my cooks in my 18.5 wsm.

If you need them a bit smaller - split away.
My point about them being bigger than what I'd use in my 30 gallon is sort of "use what works for you". My 30 is the ugly cousin of your 18 WSM. In my mini, one of these whole chunks would eat up too much of my basket- so I'd take a hatchet to make some golf ball sized if I could. If I still ran a 55 gallon uds, I might use some of those smaller depicted chunks as is.

I used to buy split firewood and keep it on a rack here. But the cross cuts are dangerous for me on my miter saw and don't want to do them anymore. One flipped one time and smashed my left ring finger a bit.. no broken bones but stung like heck for a week, was bruised and swollen, and took about 2 months to heal -- a bit of skin on side of finger got torn. So I am only gonna buy wood chunks from now on. If these are okay for 18.5 WSM after splitting in half with a hatchet I'll go ahead and do it. Would be weird shaped chunks, long and skinny. (I am appalled by the prices of wood chunks in the stores, and the prices of everything really.. just found out OTG 22.5 goes for $200 now.)

Lol, I wish lightsabers we're a real thing, and I'd just cross cut them that way.

yep- absolutely no danger with a light saber. (total wonder that that a jedi academy did not not have a building next door called "Arms, legs and more")

wood chunks at the big box stores are crazy priced. I buy a "net bag of wood" at my local Brookshires for 12 or 13 dollars. I cut it to length with a sawzall or a miter saw- but every cut is preceded with a "let's don't make this an ambulance thing- stay focused". Bad things happen when you 1) don't know anything or 2)think you know it all

Those look really good. Split as many times as you need until they burn the way you like.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Gonna grab this. I asked him if he'd take $25 for three 5 gallon buckets, and he said sure :) So saving $5 more :) Gonna grab tomorrow. He says it splits easy with hatchet so it must be nice and dry.

Decent deal IMHO. I like my wood chunks a bit larger than my fist in my charcoal cookers.

One problem about box store wood chunks... they are usually crazy dry. I like my wood at about 18% moisture and they are well under that.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Decent deal IMHO. I like my wood chunks a bit larger than my fist in my charcoal cookers.

One problem about box store wood chunks... they are usually crazy dry. I like my wood at about 18% moisture and they are well under that.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
The guy actualy just told me the tree was cut just a month ago. He says it dries fast though. He also said some people like their smoker wood more wet. We'll see how it cooks.

The guy actualy just told me the tree was cut just a month ago. He says it dries fast though. He also said some people like their smoker wood more wet. We'll see how it cooks.
The more you split the faster they dry. I wouldn't split all at once though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Not only is it a great price, it's not kiln dried like the crap from the stores.

You'll probably find a much better smoke flavor from naturally seasoned wood.

So the guy gave us "15 gallons" of pecan wood for the discounted price of $25. He put it in a plastic bag. Anyways, turns out he gave us closer to 20 gallons, so I'm happy.

The bucket in photo is 10 gallons. And I couldn't fit all the wood in it.. some is left in bag to the right. So I figure around 20 gallons.

uc

About 80% of the pieces will have to be split in half iwth hatchet later. Should be easy.

So the guy gave us "15 gallons" of pecan wood for the discounted price of $25. He put it in a plastic bag. Anyways, turns out he gave us closer to 20 gallons, so I'm happy.

The bucket in photo is 10 gallons. And I couldn't fit all the wood in it.. some is left in bag to the right. So I figure around 20 gallons.

uc

About 80% of the pieces will have to be split in half iwth hatchet later. Should be easy.

That is a great deal and if I could buy it like that I would not cut my own .

Back