THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jdtTX

Full Fledged Farker
We're headed to Padre Island National Seashore next weekend for 4 nights. We're taking the Aliner (hardsided A-frame popup) and will have a battery bank, but it's 70 miles of undeveloped barrier island, so no hookups. I'm planning to take a drink (read: beer) cooler, one dedicated to food, and a big styrofoam one specifically for ice that i'll seal before heading down beach so we can refill the other 2 as they melt. ill have a weber kettle with me.

here's my plan with freezing all proteins prior to leaving:

-ribeyes
-vacuum sealed beef/chicken/pork skewers
-hamburgers and hotdogs (i dont actually like this because we have to take the bread into a super humid environment, but the wife overruled me)
-im gonna make some salmon or crab cakes ahead of time and freeze them
-paella ingredients (shrimp, chicken, sausage portioned out)

im also probably gonna bring some lamb shanks or a pork shoulder to bury in the sand because i want to. just have to make sure i bring something else in case i ruin it. :-o

we're good with most breakfast stuff being protein bars. im thinking we'll eat 2 meals most days because we have absolutely nothing else to do except hang around. im also hoping i catch so much drum and whiting that we waste some of the food we brought. im going to do our normal weekly vegetables, so potatoes/squash/onions/etc.

im hoping y'all have some food suggestions im missing. wanting to keep it simple since i have to pack all this stuff and if we're camping 30-40 miles down on the sand, that's a 4 hour drive into corpus christi to go to a grocery store.

We eat the same camping as we do at home...except more and bigger breakfasts camping:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dutch ovens are a must for our camping trips. Fruit cobblers are fairly easy to do. Use frozen or canned berries/fruit. Cake mix. Butter. That’s about it really.

You have a pretty good list there. We like to use our Dutch ovens when camping, especially for chicken (dry roast). Steaks over the fire are a must as well as bratwurst. Cocktails are served at 4:30 followed immediately by pinochle.

You're missing a big one. When you go though Corpus or in Flour Bluff stop and get some fresh shrimp ( for eating and bait).

Fry on the fly

We always stop at the HEB in Flower Bluff before crossing over the bridge onto Padre Island, picked up some cod last time we stayed at Mustang Island that we fried on the side grill of our Niagara pop up, enjoy!

Ok, reading your post, your taking some lamb shanks?
Bury in the sand?
A shoulder or leg of Lamb loves being buried in sand next to a banked fire of coals, allow a heap of time.
I wrap in alfoil and go fishing in the morning and we eat it at night.
Shanks work awesome, I would suggest pork would as well.
Nothing but some salt and pepper and a splash of water.
The Lamb can be eaten in wraps rather than Bread, or eaten in lettuce leaves

Actually hold off and I will come with you.

Our most recent car camping trip had meals catered to the kids - hobo dinners cooked in the fire (foil wrapped seasoned beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, hunk of bacon), pre-cooked ribs, brats/dogs, one pot beans and rice, walking tacos. Nothing fancy, a little fun, tasty enough!

Most of our camping trips are competitions, so chicken thighs, pork ribs, pork butt and brisket.

Well I was gonna say that I usually pre-pack a bunch of foil wraps full of meat, veggies, and potatoes and slam em over the campfire, maybe a few tri-tips and sausage if I'm feeling fancy. It appears that I've gotta step up my camping game!

So no camp fire? If you can find some wood, Steak on a stick and roast wrapped in foil just off the fire. The important thing is to enjoy. :thumb:

Nice list! The extra meat to be buried in sand sounds fantastic to me.

I’m always a sucker for bacon wrapped jalapeños with rotisserie chicken. Queso cheese.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back