What class?

I would suggest the Shake n Bake and Gettin Basted guys from Gateway Drums
Agreed. Another to consider is Donnie from Warren County Pork Choppers. On top of teaching techniques and flavor profiles he has a unique mindset. That and he is funnier than crap.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Now, this is just me....but I would start going to competitions and start drinking beer with a few of the pitmasters. They're not going to tell you everything they know (as they have money riding on it) but you would be surprised what they're willing to tell you.

I would bet that you're going to learn a lot more using this method than taking a class where you learn your methods from one person who most likely takes one approach to what you want to cook.

That's not to say classes aren't a good idea....but if I can drink beer AND learn about quality Q....well I would take that route.

Now, this is just me....but I would start going to competitions and start drinking beer with a few of the pitmasters. They're not going to tell you everything they know (as they have money riding on it) but you would be surprised what they're willing to tell you.

I would bet that you're going to learn a lot more using this method than taking a class where you learn your methods from one person who most likely takes one approach to what you want to cook.

That's not to say classes aren't a good idea....but if I can drink beer AND learn about quality Q....well I would take that route.

BBQ is a lot like fishing.... You might hear some stuff drinking beer on a Friday night, but can you distinguish fact from fiction?

BBQ is a lot like fishing.... You might hear some stuff drinking beer on a Friday night, but can you distinguish fact from fiction?

I would say I've learned more about fishing from shooting the sh*t on Friday nights than I have in fishing classes though...

You sort through a lot of BS sure, but your only out of pocket expenses are for beer and advil (the next morning). :mrgreen:

I agree. I learned a lot in his class as well. But we don't use an offset stick burner either so I had to adapt some things to my style of cooking. It wasn't terribly hard, mostly timing and temperature changes. Tuffy is a great guy.

I want to learn food science, judge psychology, and how flavors work with each other. Having a different pit doesn't bother me at all, my cabinet smoker cooks a bit different than anything else out there (that I know of) anyways so it isn't like I can go take lessons how to cook on my own pit better....

I think Tuffy would be a great fit for me!

I've taken lots of classes and I've learned something from every one of them!

Started with Dr. BBQ's class in Effingham way back in 2004. That class ' attendees became a who's who in BBQ (self not included, I'm still a hack!).

I learned lots from the Bouska/Johns class in Oklahoma years back. All pellets, every category.

Last class I took was WCPC -- it was a good one too.

I'd like to take the Shake N Bake class and I am an avid reader of the blog (thanks, Brad). Figuring out a way to take my drum to contests, love those hanging ribs! Bet hanging chicken halves would be good too. Next contest is an IBCA...

I'd also like to take Travis Clark's class. I've had fellow cooks rave about the depth of flavor he's getting in his products. I suspect that Jason TQ would be a grand teacher and the class is lots of fun. But I'd want a cheesecake lesson from his better half!

I regret that I didn't take Old/New School when they were doing that.

Bottom line, ANY class is beneficial in my opinion. The chance to visit with fellow attendees and learn is always good.

I think you would be pleased with what you learned in his class.

I want to learn food science, judge psychology, and how flavors work with each other. Having a different pit doesn't bother me at all, my cabinet smoker cooks a bit different than anything else out there (that I know of) anyways so it isn't like I can go take lessons how to cook on my own pit better....

I have done Fast Eddy's / Butcher BBQ and Clark Crew's.

They were very similar and both had there strong points but if I had to choose one it would be Clark Crew's.

I would recommend Tuffy. First, his class is top notch - it honestly felt like a vacation they way they pamper you. Second, his methods and thoughts on the cooking process are amazing. It's worth the class cost just to hear how he approaches a cook. Not to mention receiving rub, sauce, brine recipes that have won multiple Jacks and other large contests is of huge benefit.

Someone cooking on a stickburner may take more from the class but his approach and recipes will be valuable lessons regardless of cooker type.

Agreed. Another to consider is Donnie from Warren County Pork Choppers. On top of teaching techniques and flavor profiles he has a unique mindset. That and he is funnier than crap.

Now that I live in Ky, may have to try that one .I believe I am not much over an hour from him.

I think Robbie Royal of Rescue smoker has one in Georgia and Matt Barber of Hot Wachula has one in florida. Robbie cooks on Stumps and Matt has his new line of smokers (I think). Both are insulated cabinet smokers (Matt please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here).

I think Robbie Royal of Rescue smoker has one in Georgia and Matt Barber of Hot Wachula has one in florida. Robbie cooks on Stumps and Matt has his new line of smokers (I think). Both are insulated cabinet smokers (Matt please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here).

Yes I cook and teach on my new reverse flow cabinet smokers. "Killer Smokers". Picking a class that uses similar cookers is helpful for a newer team. You will have quicker success following the schools process down to the letter using a cooker you are familiar with.

No matter what class you take... take great notes, ask lots of questions and don't give away the information you learned to shiggers lol.

I can't believe I'm not seeing any mention of Jack's Old South cooking class. His pricing is right in line with others and the class was truly fantastic. His whole crew and family is super welcoming, the food was great and his shared knowledge and willingness to answer questions after each session was incredible. It made significant improvements for us after we were there.

I can't believe I'm not seeing any mention of Jack's Old South cooking class. His pricing is right in line with others and the class was truly fantastic. His whole crew and family is super welcoming, the food was great and his shared knowledge and willingness to answer questions after each session was incredible. It made significant improvements for us after we were there.

But did he blow your mind with pork trimming.....LOL

Pardon my ignorance, does anyone offer classes that cooks primarily on an insulated cabinet smoker?
I do. I've cooked on Stump's, and currently on an Ole Hickory and a Deep South Smoker. My next class will likely be before the end of the year. Here is a link to my most recent class so you can see what it entails.
Swamp Boys Q School

I've taught it for 6 years to hundreds of people. Besides Florida I have also held classes in GA, MD, IL, IA, UT, AZ, São Paulo Brazil, and The Hague Netherlands.

I do. I've cooked on Stump's, and currently on an Ole Hickory and a Deep South Smoker. My next class will likely be before the end of the year. Here is a link to my most recent class so you can see what it entails.
Swamp Boys Q School

I've taught it for 6 years to hundreds of people. Besides Florida I have also held classes in GA, MD, IL, IA, UT, AZ, São Paulo Brazil, and The Hague Netherlands.

Nice! Maybe I can make the next one...though I notice you are missing the great state of Colorado from your list. :grin:

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
I've done the Swamp Boys class, worth every penny and look forward to going again. Like Matt said, take great notes, (I brought my wife, she is an amazing note taker.)

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Back