What are the must have accessories for the Primo XL?

dru_s_a

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Drew
Just ordered my primo XL and wondering what the must have accessories are?

Is the fire box splitter needed? Or is having the split heat deflector good for 2 zone?

I've seen pictures of oval pizza stones that fit well in the XL. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

I had a Primo oval xl for 8 years. I’d recommend the firebox divider (I cooked with that and also with full firebox and deflector and both ways work well), deflector plates, extended cooking racks. I had cast iron main grates for line as well

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deflector plates and racks are a must on any of the Primo grills.

I've got a Junior, so the divider and extender grates don't really work well for that size, but I would get these for the XL.

I'm neutral on cast iron grates for any charcoal cooker. Gassers love their defined grill marks, but other than appearance it doesn't really bring much to the party, especially in terms of taste.

Previous discussion: https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264681

Deflector racks and plates are essential to me. I didn't bother with divider, a single deflector plate works well for two zone, plus you can just build your fire on the left side where the intake is, and it stays there unless you open everything up wide. Extender racks get used frequently, but their design makes accessing items underneath frustrating. I'd rather have a single piece upper rack with supports in back & sides, leaving unobstructed access to main rack, but this doesn't exist.

Let’s see, accessories for a kamdo? I recommend getting the offset stick burner, the blackstone griddle, the pellet cooker and an outside beer fridge. That should have all your basis covered! �� in all seriousness, congrats on the new cooker.

Let’s see, accessories for a kamdo? I recommend getting the offset stick burner, the blackstone griddle, the pellet cooker and an outside beer fridge. That should have all your basis covered! in all seriousness, congrats on the new cooker.

LOL!! #hespeakstruth

D plates for sure. Also, I use the ash tool and grill grate grabber as much as anything. If I had to start over all 3 above would be considered must haves. I also use the extender grates a decent amount of the time. That would go good too but would be behind the others

I have an XL. The worst thing about it is the teakwood table I bought for it. I have to move my grills about 100 feet across concrete whenever I cook. The wood can't handle it.

Anyway... Definitely a divider and grill grates. I've had mine for so long that I can't remember if you get the two deflector plates, but you'll want that option. You probably don't need the second shelf. I also like my Kick Ash Basket. I feel like cook times are shortened, but it is a nice way to shake out ash and re-use coals.

The Primo is my go-to for burgers, brauts, steaks, and chicken. You made a great choice. And, I'd say that about any ceramic I think. They are a unique cooker.

I've had mine for a couple months, and it's still in the box.
Definitely have to order some accessories, and fire it up.

Good luck with your Xl..

I think i have pretty much every accessory other than the kick ash basket (which i am ordering soon).
You need to get the D plates for sure.
Divider plate is nice sometimes but not needed.
Cast iron grates are not worth it but the extender racks are nice to have (if a bit annoying to manage food under.
I would recommend a digiQ or other controller, but i think it is best to spend a few months learning the Primo without a digital controller.

One other recommendation - calibrate the dome thermometer right out of the box. Mine us consistently 50 degrees off. I eventually replaced it with a tell-tru which is much more reliable and accurate.

Congrats on the new rig.

Deflector plates and a temp controller. I have an original PartyQ and I can easily set and forget the temp for an all-night cook at 225 with enough lump left over for another cook.

I use these nearly every cook
Ash tool
Grate grip
Ceramic deflector plates and holder grates

Things I have that I use- but not every time
Elevated grate (1)
Primo Pizza Stone
Cast Iron Divider

Things I have new In Box-Never used
Cast Iron Grates
Rib Rack
Replacement Large Primo Logo Thermometer

May be other non used accessories I don’t recall

I have an XL and use the ceramic deflector plates/racks and cast iron divider a lot. They make it easy to set up for indirect and two zone cooking. I have the extended grates, but do not use them often. I have a cast iron grate, but prefer to place a cast iron pan on top of the deflector rack over the open coals for a great seal. Welding gloves are a must.

Back