THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
As many of you know I'm a Texan and spend a lot of my time cooking Brisket and Pork Ribs. I regularly let my Briskets wet-age refrigerated in Cryovac for 30 to 60 days with great results.

Am I good doing the same thing on Pork Butts? I have three large ones in the fridge that I bought on sale with a sell by date of 12-23-21. I ended up catching Covid-19 after purchasing and being pretty sick for the last few weeks. I'm finally getting better and ready to burn sticks! If the butts smell OK when I break into them, what is the opinion of the Bretheren???

I ain’t big on aging pork that has not been cured.Pork is cheap(relatively).Your well being is not.Go your own way but I would damn sure do the smell check.Good Luck.

If it doesn’t smell I’d still consider it, but you’re at 2.5+ weeks past sell by so it’s gotta be close if not there. In addition to smell, I’ve noticed a change in appearance to the surface of the meat and the fat, I can usually spot it visually before I open and smell it to confirm.

I have had zero issues going 2-4 weeks past the date when vac sealed but.... I have had some go bad (broken seal or past 4 weeks) and pork "funk" is different than beef when aged.

If it is turning you will know pretty quickly when opening it.

Back