THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be careful with a pizza stone made for the oven. they aren't made to take the heat from a direct fire and crack or even explode into pieces.

You might be just in front of or behind me in line. My vertical offset was ordered 4 weeks ago tomorrow and they said 10 - 12 weeks when I got in queue... :tsk:

We should be pretty close together. Chris told me it would be 12-14 weeks and I ordered it in late January IIRC.

Congrats! I have had mine for a year or two and love it. No plans to "upgrade" yet. I have the Weber grate and cast iron griddle for diffuser. Both from academy, linked earlier. After a few uses I added BGE Nomax gasket for lid and ash pan. Really sealed up good.

Like was said earlier catch the temps on the way up, hard to cool down. If I'm doing low and slow I'll leave vents open until about 175 or so and then close them way down. Mine likes to run at about 250.

I usually only use KBB. Can still get to 7-800 for steaks.

Congrats on the new toy! Anyone figure out a way to do a true 2 zone system on an Acorn? I frequently do a combo of slow and sear and hate the thought of having to remove everything to get the diffuser out once the meat reaches the proper internal temp. The only kamado grills that I've seen with a proper set up are the Primo ovals and Kamado Joe Divide and Concur but both are way out of my budget.

Congrats on the new toy! Anyone figure out a way to do a true 2 zone system on an Acorn? I frequently do a combo of slow and sear and hate the thought of having to remove everything to get the diffuser out once the meat reaches the proper internal temp. The only kamado grills that I've seen with a proper set up are the Primo ovals and Kamado Joe Divide and Concur but both are way out of my budget.

Perhaps a half kiln shelf ? Remove the chargriller insert on the main Grate and move the kiln shelf over when looking for direct?

I've had some success using a Weber charcoal grate and a wally world pizza pan cut into two pieces, aprox 2/5 and 3/5. I use the 3/5 piece as the indirect area and leave the other 2/5 grate area open for direct heat.

You might want to use some loc-tight on the hinge lid.

Back