First crack at an Ugly Drum Smoker

meatball hoagie

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
T
Hey all,

I've been smoking on my 22.5" OTG for years now. Recently I started smoking nearly every week, and my interest in doing a full packer had me measuring up my smoker grate real estate. The Q coming off the Weber kettle was fine enough, but the thought of shoehorning a brisket on there and having to maybe wrestle with the lid open longer than I'd like was intimidating me. I wanted more space.

I have to mention right here that it was about this time that I found a freebie Masterbuilt electric smoker on the street. It needed a can of EZ Off and I removed more rendered fat and blackened grease than the thing was worth purchasing new, but I'm a sucker for a groundscore. It's nice to have for holding food or finishing after an initial hit of charcoal fired smoke, but just doesn't make the grade for what I consider real barbecue.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. It seemed like whenever I found a WSM on Craigslist for a bargain price, I didn't have any expendable cash. I had heard of the DIY UDS but never looked at it further. Until now. I put it together over the course of a couple weeks, picking up the drum ($20), finding a donor Weber ($15), a few trips to HD, and waiting forever for a step bit to arrive.

uQtY45Q.jpg

Apple juice concentrate drum.
nFeYXSB.jpg

Burnout to remove paint and liner.
ALGDv9f.jpg

A good deal of the food grade liner remained, so the wire wheel came out to dispatch what held on.
tOOCOZf.jpg

Expanded metal sheet from HD.
XoyN4i1.jpg

Cut to 2x 24" x 9" pieces. I fashioned a short cook ring out of the remainder.
4kcMS1p.jpg

Weber 14.5" charcoal grate for 18.5" kettle.
RxV9IEQ.jpg

xbZ2dB0.jpg

72" shelf standard upright.
S6wYJyT.jpg

F2hp1MY.jpg

db4rHKZ.jpg

Cheapo placeholder dial thermo from HD that didn't register out of the package. I'll replace with a 12" probe thermometer.
EdlgYzX.jpg

Almost there!
z4aTcn7.jpg

Seasoned up with shelf supports and grates in place.
v0tnUuq.jpg

Intake: 3x ¾" nipples, two capped, one full flow lead free ball valve.
QofMKnC.jpg

Finishing touches.
8hLejsy.jpg

Fire in the hole!
4eKuOVk.jpg

A couple racks of SLC ribs rubbed up and ready to go. I soaked one in pineapple juice for about 12 hours while the other spent that additional time dry brining with Kosher salt.
IriF2uk.jpg

I pulled the water pan halfway through the cook. Still learning!
WBbrLIz.jpg

And after about 5 hours. They probably could have stayed on a bit longer, but I was hungry *NOW*! I'll try hanging my ribs next.

Happy smoking!
South Philly Tim

Last edited:
I don't know why the majority of your pictures aren't visible Tim, but from your description of the build, it sounds exactly like the one that I did. I hope you have many great food experiences with your new toy.

Yeah, I tried it twice and each time the imgur album got deleted. I'll hopefully get around to replacing them with working links, but right now duty calls!

Back