THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I do truss my turkey up - but I don't do it as tight - I found that I like the smoke getting in the cavity of the bird and if you tighten the legs down to much it gets limited. So, instead I tie mine to where the tips of the legs are touching.

Anyone else do this?

I am a cheesecloth on the breast guy, that's how I learned. I wet down, with water, and chill several layers of cheesecloth (yes, I just use the entire package, unfolded). The cold, wet cheesecloth goes over the breast. I will baste it with broth for the first two hours, every 30 minutes, after I flip the turkey. Thereafter, it is removed. This slows browning.

Oh, I start the turkey upside down on a rack, with the breast pointing away from the heat. It cooks like that for an hour, which gives the thighs a chance to cook faster.

Back