Weber SmokeFire Owners Question on Storage

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
Weber is running their SmokeFire's pellet cookers for $200 off regular price again and I'm considering buying an EX6 which would primarily be used for grilling.

The spot I have open for an EX6 on my patio is covered, but it would be at the edge of the patio and while not in direct rain, if the wind is blowing hard while raining it will get wet from blowing drizzle and spray.

Those of you that own a Weber SmokeFire, do you keep it under a cover? If not do you have any issues with your pellets getting damp? My concern is the Weber EX6 pellet hopper is on the back side of the grill so closest to the elements on my patio. I do a good job cleaning my cookers, but I'm pretty bad about keeping them under a cover!

Thanks in advance for responses!

I was thinking hard about the Fire and smoke 6 but for the exact reason you mentioned, I got a WSM and I’m downsizing to a 22” Weber kettle (my 26 kettle is beat up). I cook in severe weather and don’t want the bad weather to interfere with my plans on the short weekend.
I always say, “if you ask the question, you know the answer”.
Good luck with your decision.

If you cook often enough, the pellets won't stay too long in the hopper. Once you figure out how much pellets will be required for a certain type of cooking, you won't be holding that much extra pellets. I have a breezeway between the house and the garage where I've been keeping my EX6. Several occasions I've had to roll the grill away from where the rain was blowing in but there's a gasket on the hopper lid that will keep out all moisture except a hurricane. I'm more concerned with water getting onto/into the controller than I am with the pellet hopper

My EX4 is on an uncovered back porch, though it does get the grill cover put on it when not in use. I have, however, cooked on it during a few decent rains. Never had an issue with rain getting in the hopper. I also leave pellets in the hopper between cooks, and haven't had an issue. I wouldn't be concerned about the pellets getting wet from rain in your scenario.

One uncommon thing I'll mention is that I've had the grill itself produce condensation in the pellet hopper during high heat cooks in certain weather conditions. Guess it stands to reason, with the exhaust dumping out right on top of the pellet hopper. This is not a common occurrence - I've only seen it when RH is above 60%, the outside temps are dropping, and the grill is running at 500+.

condensation1.jpg

condensation2.jpg

Thanks Guys!!! Just the kind of information I was looking for!!! My FEC-100 has a very tight pellet hopper and I just dump in 20 pounds of pellets whenever it starts to get low, and would like to do the same with the SmokeFire.

David

Back