weber lid

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
How much difference is there between the four 1" holes in a Weber lid vs the one 2" hole in a standard UDS lid? The Weber lid can hit super high temps in their grill but not sure about when it's on a 55 gallon drum. Can you hit 400+ degree temps on a uds with one assuming your intake is a plenty? I built a Weber lid uds for my in-laws and it works well but it seems like they have had issues hitting over 350 even with a large slider vent

How much difference is there between the four 1" holes in a Weber lid vs the one 2" hole in a standard UDS lid? The Weber lid can hit super high temps in their grill but not sure about when it's on a 55 gallon drum. Can you hit 400+ degree temps on a uds with one assuming your intake is a plenty?

My Hunsaker would hit 400 if I let it, so I assume it’s possible with any drum. I’m not sure the paint on most drums could handle high temps all the time though. The porcelain coat on the Weber seems to stand up to the heat well.

My Hunsaker would hit 400 if I let it, so I assume it’s possible with any drum. I’m not sure the paint on most drums could handle high temps all the time though. The porcelain coat on the Weber seems to stand up to the heat well.

I use high temp paint. My existing drums with flat lids and 2-in exhaust can frequently hit 550° with lump charcoal when they are wide open.

I’m wondering if the breaks between the holes has something to do with it then vs the all single hole? Or possibly the shape of the lid on a large drum? Not pulling in enough air? I know I’m not helping any as I’ve only had experience with a Hunsaker.

I’m wondering if the breaks between the holes has something to do with it then vs the all single hole? Or possibly the shape of the lid on a large drum? Not pulling in enough air? I know I’m not helping any as I’ve only had experience with a Hunsaker.

As far as the breaks between the holes I would think that the total area would be the total area whether it's all in one or separate?

Any drum smoker, just take the lid off for about 5 mins and you got as high as you want to go. Trick is getting it back down and knowing your fuel load.

Those holes on a normal 22" grill are only 5/8".
So you have only 2 1'2" of holes on a Weber lid - compared to your idea of 4 one inch holes, or 4", and my UDS has 8 5/8" holes, or a total of 5".

You need more exhaust. Sure lift the lid as Mike said, but for longer sustained higher temps, you need another daisy ring in the lid.

Those holes on a normal 22" grill are only 5/8".
So you have only 2 1'2" of holes on a Weber lid - compared to your idea of 4 one inch holes, or 4", and my UDS has 8 5/8" holes, or a total of 5".

You need more exhaust. Sure lift the lid as Mike said, but for longer sustained higher temps, you need another daisy ring in the lid.

I didn't realize that. But that tells me the holes are still more than a single 2" hole. This answers my question because the 2" hole has been a plenty for needs so the Weber lid should work. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back