Weber kettle lid bail on uds?

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
I don't have a UDS, but suggest you try to get Weber part #65188, which is the newer, improved bail that allows the lid to sit at 90 degrees and give full access to the grate.

I don't have a UDS, but suggest you try to get Weber part #65188, which is the newer, improved bail that allows the lid to sit at 90 degrees and give full access to the grate.

I think maybe that was the problem. My performer must have been an older one because my lid wouldn't sit up much more than 30 degrees so it seems pretty useless.

Take a look at a lid from a weber that is not a performer. It has a hook on the inside that allows the lid to hang on the edge of the kettle. I duplicated this on my uds flat lid by using a conduit hanger cut in have, works great.

Take a look at a lid from a weber that is not a performer. It has a hook on the inside that allows the lid to hang on the edge of the kettle. I duplicated this on my uds flat lid by using a conduit hanger cut in have, works great.

We built 2 this weekend. Mine has an old performer lid and my boys has a standard lid with the hook. His hook is about to break off. I don’t know any easy way to drill and mount a hook as the porcelain paint is rock hard and chips real bad. I don’t wanna ruin my lid otherwise I would. My flat lids had a hook like that also.

I don’t know any easy way to drill and mount a hook as the porcelain paint is rock hard and chips real bad. I don’t wanna ruin my lid otherwise I would. My flat lids had a hook like that also.

When I drilled the old weber lid for a thermometer, I put masking tape on it and took it easy. No chipping no problem.

We built 2 this weekend. Mine has an old performer lid and my boys has a standard lid with the hook. His hook is about to break off. I don’t know any easy way to drill and mount a hook as the porcelain paint is rock hard and chips real bad. I don’t wanna ruin my lid otherwise I would. My flat lids had a hook like that also.

I've drilled into Weber kettles a few times over the years and have had luck using a step bit after making a starter hole using a 1/16th followed by a 1/8th bit.

I apply masking tape over the spot to be drilled, then after drilling touch up with paint to prevent rust.

I've drilled into Weber kettles a few times over the years and have had luck using a step bit after making a starter hole using a 1/16th followed by a 1/8th bit.

This, I drilled a hole in my kettle the same way, no problems with chipping.

I apply masking tape over the spot to be drilled, then after drilling touch up with paint to prevent rust.
Thanks for the tips!

What about putting 2 J hooks on the side of the UDS, where it will hold it against the barrel.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Before I built my first UDS, somebody posted a drawing which could be used to make a hinge for a Weber lid on a UDS. I didn't save it, figuring that once I built my UDS, I would be able to find it again. No dice, never could find it again, but now is a good time to mention it, in case anyone remembers it.

Take care,

JBP

Last edited:
I did this tonight with a stainless steel eye bolt. Works really nice

Attachments

• 16234525652132.jpg
    16234525652132.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 16234525651911.jpg
    16234525651911.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 16234525651730.jpg