THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
I know there's been a hundred posts on the internet about how to make a Weber lid fit a UDS barrel. I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before but just in case it hasn't I thought I would throw this tip out there that I discovered a few builds ago. A co-worker wanted me to build him a UDS several months ago and I was having a hard time finding open head drums locally. But I found an old antifreeze barrel from the local lube shop that was in immaculate shape with no dents. I also discovered this barrel was bare steel on the inside and had no liner. So I remembered seeing a tip on here years ago where you could grind the lip down all the way around and the lid would separate and voila you could use it like a flat lid. So that is what I did for the first time ever and it worked beautifully and my coworker now has a nice flat top UDS smoker. But one thing that I discovered when I built this was that once you grind that outer lip down enough for the top of the lid to separate at the seam, a Weber lid then sits down on that drum nice and tight. I wasn't setting out to discover this but I did and I've built several out of old antifreeze and oil drums since and they've all been the same. Thought I would throw that out there in case anybody was struggling to get a Weber lid to fit.

Attachments

I thought about making a UDS with an old weber lid but it never really fit. I did go ahead and order the $169 kit from udsparts.com The quality is unbeatable, the process is a blast, and I am about to sell my ceramic grill because the drum cooks better than the ceramic for a fraction of the cost. Make it your own and you’ll be thrilled with the results! I’ll try to figure out how to post a pic and will update later. https://udsparts.com/kits.html

Build very hot fires. Here is the exact way I burned my drum out. https://youtu.be/6Zwc_JNL6c8

Exactly what he said. ^^^^ actually I have come to think I would rather prefer antifreeze or oil barrels over food grade. Most the food grade barrels I have gotten in the past have had them damn liners in them which you can barely get out. At least a antifreeze or oil barrel is unlined and bare steel. Nothing like a good hot fire to clean it

Back