Weber kettle abuse,,pizzed !!!

Your first mistake was taking it out of the box. My wife always insists on opening things up and then giving them a ding with a hammer. You can't really enjoy something if you have to treat it like fine China is her philosophy. I on the other hand, have my Weber in a box on a special shelf in the basement. I opened it up to add some mothballs. I wasn't so much concerned with the moths eating it as the moth poop etching the finish. I picked up an ol' knock-off to cook on and that's been going strong for years.

Your first mistake was taking it out of the box. My wife always insists on opening things up and then giving them a ding with a hammer. You can't really enjoy something if you have to treat it like fine China is her philosophy. I on the other hand, have my Weber in a box on a special shelf in the basement. I opened it up to add some mothballs. I wasn't so much concerned with the moths eating it as the moth poop etching the finish. I picked up an ol' knock-off to cook on and that's been going strong for years.

I didnt take it out of the box,,i bought it assembled.

when my father would buy a new car he would go behind the rear wheel and give it a kick underneath,,then say " there , i gave it the first one ! "

Definitely over did it. It's a Weber. As aawa said, the bowl is coated with baked on porcelain. It will not rust unless you get cracks or chips in the porcelain. One caveat to this is that if you bank the coals against the side and get them extremely hot, some bowls have been known to develop crazing. Basically, corrosion caused by heat.

The frame and table of your Performer are coated so they really aren't a concern either. A little rain now and then won't hurt them. Sun will dry them out and you'll be fine.

What can rust fairly easily is the charcoal grate and the ash sweeps. Definitely try to keep them dry.

Mine has been outside for 17 years uncovered in the snow freezing rain hot summer still good as new

I don't cover any of them, I like to let it snow on mine, that way in the morning I can watch my grill show that Bitc-- Mother nature who's the boss and melt her messy slather, weird i know,

Definitely over did it. It's a Weber. As aawa said, the bowl is coated with baked on porcelain. It will not rust unless you get cracks or chips in the porcelain. One caveat to this is that if you bank the coals against the side and get them extremely hot, some bowls have been known to develop crazing. Basically, corrosion caused by heat.

The frame and table of your Performer are coated so they really aren't a concern either. A little rain now and then won't hurt them. Sun will dry them out and you'll be fine.

What can rust fairly easily is the charcoal grate and the ash sweeps. Definitely try to keep them dry.

My gates are SS,or so they look .

No need to worry unless you have compromised the porcelain coating.

My kettle was moved from Bakersfield Calif to Amsterdam then to NJ. It lived outside for 25 years mostly uncovered and exposed to all elements. It died this year after a tremendous amounts of use and abuse.

Don't worry about it. It will be fine and serve you well.

Mine stays outside all year and when I remember, a cover gets placed on it. Never had any problems!!

This one's 55 years old & while the few porcelain chips have, yes, picked up a little rust.....

6%20Brisket%20019.jpg

.....still cooks as good or better than the day it was bought....it's a Weber....

Go ahead & cover it, take care of it, clear the ash (plastic paint scraper works wonders for what the sweeps don't catch) & it may last into the next century....

Several in the shed, all covered. Two on the patio, daily cookers, covered. No matter the time, when dinner is done, they are cleaned and covered.

A cover is not always good either. If it sits in the sun and the temps swing, things can get musty/moldy as it sweats.

A cover is not always good either. If it sits in the sun and the temps swing, things can get musty/moldy as it sweats.

I also wonder about rusting racks. All of my racks, both coal and cooking, are original.
rack_zps0c27acde.jpg

One of those is 38 years old.

Back