We (me) talked me out of a stick burner :-) Here's what I ended up with!

DavidJ

Knows what a fatty is.
Maybe y'all remember my post last month where I was asking to be talked out of buying a stick burner... In hindsight, I guess I should of been asking to be talked into it, :grin:.... I really did want to buy it and I actually went to the store 3 times but just couldn't quite get myself to pull out the wallet. Anyway, I did complete a few mods to the can, which included some new wheels (finally got rid of that wobbly temp platform I made a few years back) added the 5 point rack system from Hunsaker Smokers, along with the vortex basket, I also added a holder on the side for the Guru, and the cheapest and simplest upgrade of all, which is what I've really been wanting, was a simple silicone grommet on the side to slide the probes through.

I'm still learning to manage the temps with the new basket. For some reason fire control seems a lot more different than my prior open cage basket. I also got a lot more white smoke than what I've seen before, so trying to narrow that down... I burnt a butt last week (but still edible!) and didn't fare so well with the ribs this weekend (first time hanging ribs), but I'm getting dialed in!

David...

Attachments

• Can1.jpg
    Can1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Burnt Butt.jpg
    Burnt Butt.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Money Muscle.jpg
    Money Muscle.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Hanging Slabs.jpg
    Hanging Slabs.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Pre-Wrap.jpg
    Pre-Wrap.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 210
You might want to leave the lid open longer to allow the charcoal to get going better as the Vortex firebox has a different airflow than your wire mesh basket AMHIK!

You might want to leave the lid open longer to allow the charcoal to get going better as the Vortex firebox has a different airflow than your wire mesh basket AMHIK!

Thanks for the advice Ron!

Are you dumping hot coals (briquettes) on top with wood buried halfway down the basket, or using some other method?

David

Thanks for the advice Ron!

Are you dumping hot coals (briquettes) on top with wood buried halfway down the basket, or using some other method?

David

I do the same thing, I bought the vortex for my drum for the ease of removal.
I tried it on my 18" Weber bullet (it barely fit) and got the same results as you, I figured it out after reading about white smoke problems on another forum and put 2and 2 together:wacko:

Don't know how you passed up that Blue Smoke smoker. :twitch:

Take a second look and see what you're missing......

https://bluesmokesmokers.com/

:mod: :loco: :crazy: Haha! Don't ever ask to be talked out of an offset here! :-D

Back