Wanting to try smoking pulled pork

Well, after 3-4 hours half of charcoal was burned, so figured I better close the bottom vent a little more. It was maybe 1/2 inch open, the top was open all the way. I don't have a meat thermometer, well an old dial type, so kept trying to see if it would twist apart with a fork. I never did get the bone to wiggle, finally stuck the meat thermometer in it at 9 hours, was reading 190.

I took it off, and let rest for 45 minute...put on thick rubber gloves and was able to easily pull apart most of it, one spot was a little harder. I had to use hickory chips, as that is what I had. I put 4 small piles in the snake, but the meat was lacking in flavor to me, not enough smoke or seasoning.... I had slathered it in a thin mustard, and then rib rub.
I guess not bad for a first time, I got 1.5 pounds of meat from a 6 pound pork butt.

Attachments

• PuledPorkButt.jpg
    PuledPorkButt.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
Nice that you completed the cook and updated us. Re taste....sauce and spice it up while pulling. Take notes on your cook and look forward to next time. You learn a lot more by doing than by reading. Great job! I'd eat it.

Looks awesome to me.

Take what you learned and apply it next time.

It only gets better with practice!

Got this for $8.78, I had $15 on a gift card on Amazon, and $1.25 points from my credit card, original price was $24...sounds good, can be used for deep frying, candy making, bbq, sticks to the fridge, 2-3 second reading, auto on, sleep...

Attachments

• MeatThermo.jpg
    MeatThermo.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 18
Back