***Vote - BBQ Brethren "Let's All Smoke Some Fatties!" Throwdown!- VOTE***

Who should be declared the winner of the BBQ Brethren "Let's All Smoke Some Fatties!" Thro

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being a "noob" on many level, I have never made a fattie before.
So I sat this one out and simply watched.
There are some amazing cooks here, you guys are really creative which is great to learn from.
But for me, I needed to see a fattie in detail. Up close and what's in it. Terry got my vote.

Thanks guys for the input. These are fun. When I look at my pics they look lame compared to say Rons or CDs. I look forward to getting better, maybe one day I'll even top my total of one vote (I think I've got one vote in a total of three TDs).
CD is a professional photographer, and Ronelle has the super Bat Photoshop program at the mod chalet. You can't compare yourself to them.

So you guys tend to use pic quality as a deciding factor? I really gotta stop using the camera phone. I personally try and look at the food more knowing not everyone has the same equipment an photography exp. Guess I'll have to step up my "presentation"

I personally do NOT use photography as my primary consideration when voting, but a really bad photo can work against a good entry a lot more than a good photo can save a bad entry, IMO.

I read, and usually re-read the cook descriptions, and try to imagine what the entry tastes like, before I vote. It is not unusual for me to read some descriptions three or four times, when I'm having trouble deciding.

For me, at least, a good description is more important than a good photo, but a good photo doesn't hurt.

Just my two cents.

CD

Thanks guys for the input. These are fun. When I look at my pics they look lame compared to say Rons or CDs. I look forward to getting better, maybe one day I'll even top my total of one vote (I think I've got one vote in a total of three TDs).

As I posted in the entry thread, I thought your ABT fatty was very clever. But, then somebody entered another ABT fatty, so you are trapped in a throwdown within a throwdown.

Getting caught in a TD within a TD means you have to win your niche first, and then compete with the rest of the field. Been there, done that, had my arse kicked.

CD

Last edited:
CD is a professional photographer, and Ronelle has the super Bat Photoshop program at the mod chalet. You can't compare yourself to them.

I do? :-D Maybe I should start using it!

I use Google's Picasa and do some cropping to get rid of anything embarrassing the background and then use the Picasa "I'm feeling lucky" auto correct to adjust the colors if needed. If I use my iPhone camera it usually needs a little correction, but if I use my Olympus TG-2 point and shoot it rarely needs correction. Most of the time I shoot the pictures on my kitchen counter. The fatty shot was outdoors using the Olympus point and shoot.

But, as CD said, I don't look at the photographic quality, but rather the cook and ingredients and the "Do I want to eat it" factor. But, a better picture will help bring out that factor over a poor picture.

So not only do I take chit photos but I also have nondescript post of unappetizing food. Well that makes me feel better. Thanks guys.

So not only do I take chit photos but I also have nondescript post of unappetizing food. Well that makes me feel better. Thanks guys.

Actually, your entry post used pictures pretty well to describe your entry. A few words could have helped, but don't go on-and-on-and-on like a platypus might do. :blah: :becky:

CD

I feel it's tacky to vote for myself.

I agree. The TD's are supposed to be fun. If it gets to the point where you are voting for yourself, you should take a step back and take a break from Throwdowns. Although it is not a "rule" per se, it is pretty much the number one unspoken rule.

You had a nice entry. Don't get discouraged.

I agree. The TD's are supposed to be fun. If it gets to the point where you are voting for yourself, you should take a step back and take a break from Throwdowns. Although it is not a "rule" per se, it is pretty much the number one unspoken rule.

You had a nice entry. Don't get discouraged.

I think there should be a rule that all TD participants must vote and that it has to be for an entry other than theirs. That being said, if there is no rule against voting for yourself I think the one acceptable time is at the very end of the voting if you are clearly competing for the win against someone who voted for their own entry.

I try to vote in any TD that I am competing as early as possible, without voting for myself, and without looking at the voting results so as to not let the opinions of others sway my voting.

Sometimes it means your vote gave you a loss and the other guy the win...just gives a reason to step up the game and try again.

Last edited:
I think there should be a rule that all TD participants must vote and that it has to be for an entry other than theirs. That being said, if there is no rule against voting for yourself I think the one acceptable time is at the very end of the voting if you are clearly competing for the win against someone who voted for their own entry.

Not for me, Billy.
You see me voting for myself you will know two things.
That I have lost any sense of dignity and self worth...and I have completely lost my mind.

I agree with you that if you are in a TD then you ought to vote, and now I realize those votes should be cast in the first day.
That would be cool, all entry votes out of the way and we can feel more assured the votes didn't get spent politically, or count for anything other than a vote for a great entry.
That's a good idea, & peeps has a good philosophy!

Often enough, I'm the first person to vote. Usually I vote the first day, and usually not much later than when the vote thread is posted.

I usually need to hack the site to sway voting in my favor. :sad:

I do try to participate if my time commitments allow, even if it is a "non-winning entry." Only seems fair to put your chin out there and not just on the voting end of it, critiquing others.

I encourage Ninja and Sam3 to include entries and even solicit helpful suggestions from some of the veterans.

I'm with you guys. I prefer voting early, and I never even knew you could see the results before voting until about 3 throwdowns ago! I was voting early just so I could watch the race unfold :doh:

That being said, I still do it that way because I think its much better to vote your conscience than to be swayed by what the vote count is or some other such nonsense.

As to voting for yourself... Everyone is entitled to do as they please, but for me, it takes away some of the fun and camaraderie that makes these throwdowns as fun as they are. Yea, everyone likes winning, but these really aren't competitive that way, and I like that. There's a better sense of community and friendly competition when the guy that you're up against votes for you, and maybe you for him. It just keeps things more civilized and light hearted. That's something you won't see in a lot of places and I think its pretty cool.

Also, I should add, I have rarely seen a throwdown come down to one vote... Some have been really close, and there have been a couple ties, but its really rare that 1 vote makes the difference anyway.

Sure I can. I hate excuses. Excuse is just another word for suck.

As I posted in the entry thread, I thought your ABT fatty was very clever. But, then somebody entered another ABT fatty, so you are trapped in a throwdown within a throwdown.

Getting caught in a TD within a TD means you have to win your niche first, and then compete with the rest of the field. Been there, done that, had my arse kicked.

CD

Yea I voted for Terrys abt fatty, it was better than mine and couldn't see anyone voti for mine over his. In my head I'm the one who gave him the idea. It's a small victory please don't take it away from me

I try to vote in any TD that I am competing as early as possible, without voting for myself, and without looking at the voting results so as to not let the opinions of others sway my voting.

Sometimes it means your vote gave you a loss and the other guy the win...just gives a reason to step up the game and try again.

That's how I roll too. I don't read the voting thread until after I've voted

Not for me, Billy.
You see me voting for myself you will know two things.
That I have lost any sense of dignity and self worth...and I have completely lost my mind.

I agree with you that if you are in a TD then you ought to vote, and now I realize those votes should be cast in the first day.
That would be cool, all entry votes out of the way and we can feel more assured the votes didn't get spent politically, or count for anything other than a vote for a great entry.
That's a good idea, & peeps has a good philosophy!

Like I said, the only reason I can see doing it is if someone else has already hijacked the dignity of the TD. :mad2:

CD took the edge in photography, however Peeps got the vote based on the fact that his entry simply blew my mindgrapes!

Don't fret Ninja, I've entered a lot of these and don't believe I ever came away with more than 2 votes. Heck, in the original Noobs vs. Vets TD I had 9 entries and got one vote total or all of them!

Back