Virginia/Mid Atlantic Brethren Bash

AAWA - I'm interested as well. We need to promote this -
the bash threads are not well viewed. Peeps has a large Promo in his Sig line for the Texas bashes.
There are a fair amount of Marylanders and N. Virginians on the forum - I bet 99%
don't know about this - I just found it myself, even after seeing your other thread and posting in it.
Areas along the 95 corridor would get the most traction, I believe.
I also wouldn't mind going to bumville and see Shenco's digs.
HBMTN isn't too far away IIRC.
This has alot of promise, great to get a start on it.
We need to get the message out.

I just remember them there Texans had 'door prizes' - how did they get them,
it would be fun to get 'sponsors'.

Consider me officially interested

I am running around but wanted to follow this thread as it develops. I am definitely interested and can think of a few places where we may be able to meet up. I am not sure how the bashes work so I will do some research before I speak out of turn.

Depending on the date...I'll make the drive

Great to hear.

I am running around but wanted to follow this thread as it develops. I am definitely interested and can think of a few places where we may be able to meet up. I am not sure how the bashes work so I will do some research before I speak out of turn.

I am not sure how they work either lol. From the looks of the successful Texas bash, just gathering at a state park by making a reservation for pavilion would probably give us a great location.

I think the obvious questions for the location would be

Where would we get the most interest (destination spot/beach, centralized location Richmond area, or a cool spot like a brewery bbq place being built by Shenco)

Another question would be the state parks if they allow trailer cookers to be used in the park. If they are, how close is the parking that they can get to the pavilion if they can't pull up to it.

Once we get those 2 big questions answered I think the organizing would be pretty easy. Just setup a sign up sheet with what people are going to bring/cook at the location.

I'm sure since all of us are used to cooking out doors that we could make due without a kitchen to use. :biggrin1:

Obviously I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one and need to do more research. I am quite busy till the new year and will look into it more. I just wanted to gauge interest in an event like this.

We need to promote this -
the bash threads are not well viewed. Peeps has a large Promo in his Sig line for the Texas bashes.
This certainly helps with visibility since the mods frown on cross-posting. Also, an occasional Q-Talk post of "a practice cook for the bash" or "what should I cook for the bash" helps :wink:

I'm not sure how they got "sponsors" for door prizes. I'm going to try to have a better bash than them texans though!
After only having 5 folks show up to our first bash in November 2013, I thought if I bribed folks with door prizes, it might boost participation. :becky:

For the last several years, I have helped organize a local car gathering where I was in charge of contacting vendors to see if they would make donations to support our event. So one day I figured if I can get automotive companies to donate parts/gift certificates, etc for that, it might be worth reaching out to some of our Brethren vendors for a Bash...so I did.

I don't know if it boosted participation, but it got good products in new hands and I'm know several of the guys have found new favorite rubs as a part of it.

Good luck with the planning!

This certainly helps with visibility since the mods frown on cross-posting. Also, an occasional Q-Talk post of "a practice cook for the bash" or "what should I cook for the bash" helps :wink:

After only having 5 folks show up to our first bash in November 2013, I thought if I bribed folks with door prizes, it might boost participation. :becky:

For the last several years, I have helped organize a local car gathering where I was in charge of contacting vendors to see if they would make donations to support our event. So one day I figured if I can get automotive companies to donate parts/gift certificates, etc for that, it might be worth reaching out to some of our Brethren vendors for a Bash...so I did.

I don't know if it boosted participation, but it got good products in new hands and I'm know several of the guys have found new favorite rubs as a part of it.

Good luck with the planning!

Thanks for the info peeps. it is greatly appreciated!

I think having one at the Brewery would be really neat and great place to have it. I would make a weekend out of it for sure!

I see the benefits of having it in or around Richmond with the I-95 corridor as it is much easier access for non-VA residents and for VA Residents it is right in the middle of the state.

With it being in SE VA I could take on a majority of the planning and logistics of it all without needing a ton of help, and there is the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay for people wanting to make a vacation stop out of it. Along with places like Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens along the way to get to Hampton Roads.

All have their benefits and depending on who wants to help do the planning and an area where a majority of those that are interested in coming would like to have it, it can be held anywhere in the state really. Newtoq said he would help plan/organize and he lives in the Richmond Area, I could look in the SE VA area and Shenco has a brewery he could host at, so the possibilities are viable for all 3 area's of the state.

Im in! I think Chippokes Plantation State Park is a great idea. keep me informed.

I'm familiar with First Landing State Park and think it would be a great place for this sort of thing. Not sure about my attendance...much will depend on the dates you pick, but I'm interested.

Back