THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gabo

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hi Guys,

I'm new around these parts, but have been reading a lot about smoker builds and am impressed with the amount of knowledge you guys have been sharing. I have gone through most Vertical Smoker build threads, but have not found what I have been looking for.

I have been through several UDS over the years and decided I want to step it up a notch. As you know, the UDS is fun and cheap, but they are tough to clean and don't last very long. I want to build a new vertical smoker, but want to keep it light and simple. I wanted to do a single pit with two doors, one for the smoke chamber and another for the firebox, using a water pan as a heat deflector. I would use all 11 gauge stainless steel. I don't really need that much insulation in South Florida, want to use coal with a bit of wood as fuel and need it to be stainless because everything rusts down here. Probably would go for 24" x 24" x 48", using the first 12-14 inches for the firebox.

I wanted to have a commercial model to clone, but seems that this setup I have in mind is not common at all. Vertical smokers are either offset, and if not, they are insulated, do you guys know why this is?

Do you see a downside to doing this build straight up vertical with no offset and no insulation? Kind of like a rectangular UDS with doors on the sides?

Would you recommend offset w/ tuning plates vs this setup? I just dont get why offset is a thing for vertical smokers I guess.

Do you think I would need insulation or is 11 gauge stainless enough?

Thanks guys,

Back