Using WSM as a "stick burner" - Harry Soo video

So the consensus is the air intakes are not large enough to supply a stick fire in the WSM. I wonder if a power draft like the Guru with 10CFM fan would make a difference? I may have to sacrifice some meat in a trial just to see. I have the 18" WSM so the 10CFM may be more effective than in the 22" since it's got less volume to start with.
I'm going by my experience using my UDS.
I have 1- 3.5" exhaust and 1- 2" exhaust. I have 2-1.5"pipe elbow intakes, 1-2.25" straight in intake. And 1- 1.5" straight in intake. And there are still times I must use my access door open ajar to get enough air flow for a clean burn. And I'm talking clean. Just like my other wood burners.
Some days, I only have to use 3 intakes for a clean burn. I am able to burn splits clean with no intakes open and use my access door. With both my exhausts wide open. It is just a PIA on windy days. Reason I have so much intake available.
I would think on the 18" and/or 22" WSM. Just leave the access door off. Intakes and exhaust full open. And you should be able to burn splits without much trouble. The access door allows intake and exhaust.
I say go for it.
I would think a fan constantly on high. Would blow alot of ash/hots during the cook. Might not be a good thing. IMHO
Baby Back Maniac has a video grilling on a wsm burning wood.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257692

I think forcing air would just cause it to burn too hot.

I'm not talking about using the fan 100% of the time, but letting the GURU control the air input like normal. Should be from dang near 0% to full on when needed just like when running lump/brickette and wood chunks in the WSM - only change is small splits for coals and heat.

If you're not familiar with the GURU adapter for the WSM, the fan also does not blow directly onto the coals, but is diverted along the inside of the bowl edges. So fire get a controlled amount of "air" to just burn or be stoked up, but not directly stoked like puffing directly into the coals.

I would think a small pile of either kindling splits or charcoal to get the short splits going would be needed, probably with the middle section off for a while. Then let it run with the door open to make the coal bed from the smoke wood splits, and finally under control of the GURU & fan to stabilize after closing the door. I'm thinking water would be smart to help control spikes until this process is figured out. I may have to sacrifice some ribs and pecan to see how it works. If I do, I will document my efforts. Just don't criticize me for the short ribs as it is a 18" and I'm not a fan of curling the ribs.

Edit ------

Actually, I may just run it set up like above, but use some bricks for thermal mass on a test run. No point in ruining good meat when you can simulate roughly the temp results other ways.

Last edited:
If you play with the split sizes and airflow, I think you will find a good combination to smoke with. A little force air would certainly make it easier but, I don't think it's required, at least not for me. YMMV.

To the OP, you can do a full brisket on the 18.5 WSM. Just turn a SS bowl upside down to take advantage of dome space.

ShwvGKP.jpg

This one was 16 lbs over the bowl. Use the top rack handles to tuck in the ends.

YMsSr2n.jpg

Turns out Great!

oDBrgUB.jpg

9Wjo76s.jpg

As to the vid, I too can add as much or as little smoke as we like with chunks. While Oak is good, Pecan is hard to beat.

Back