Using an ATC with a WSM

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
I have a PartyQ and have been using it successfully with my Kamado Joe for some time now. I love it. Just purchased an adapter and want to use it with my WSM. For those of you using ATCs with WSMs how do you start it and bring it up to temperature and when do you install the ATC? Also, I’m an old school WSM user who learned to keep the top vent 100% open and control the temp with the bottom vents. I know with the KJ that I close the daisy wheel down to less than 25% when using my ATC. How do you set the top vent when using your ATC with the WSM.

When I had my WSM and used the Pitmaster IQ-120, I would attach the fan mount to a vent, open the other two vents, and fire her up. When the temp got to about 50 below my target temp, I'd close the other two vents and let the IQ bring her the rest of the way up.

As far as the upper vent, pretty sure I always left it wide open. On my LSG cabinet I close the exhaust like you mention. On the WSCG, it's like the WSM, wide open. Give it a try and go with what works best for you.

I used my WSMs for years with no control and for the most part they held over night....having said that, I like my sleep and I got an ATC (stoker) a handful of years ago. I use it all the time with my WSMs because it can dial in any temperature and I don't have to check it. I connect the fan to one of the three bottom vents, close the other two bottom vents and leave the top vent 100% open while it's coming up to temperature and throughout the cook.

I've done things a couple ways.

The easiest for me was to get the firebox full of charcoal and wood....remove enough coal to fill my Weber chimney starter.....top off the firebox with hot coals and stack everything on with vents all closed and turn things over to the DigiQDX2.

Used some wood pellets in there....also added wood later.

Extremely easy cook.

Same as many others, I'll turn the digiQ on about 50 degrees below desired temp, just remember to shut the vents when you do. I forgot once, then decided that cook would be best as Hot n Fast when I went back out to check. It took off fast!

Oh man, that's the only way I cook on my WSM now. That Party Q keeps it dead on 275*F for overnight brisket and butt cooks. After doing many of both I've found what best works for me on my WSM 18.

Top vent 50% open.
Empty foil wrapped pan.
1/2 chimney coal to start the Minion Method in the center of the fire ring with wood chunks spread throughout with the coal.
After the white smoke stops on pouring in starter coal, load barrel on top, place probe and meat and cover.
Turn on Party Q. I also use a probe in the deepest part of the flat or butt.
Go watching football and drinking cold beer, go to bed and get up the next morning.
Pull cover and check for probe tender. Replace cover and check again as needed until ready to rest.

On edit, I have the adaptor opening at the 4 O' Clock position to create a slight vortex effect and help the coal burn more evenly.

Handy tip: Anytime you remove the cover, turn the Party Q off. After replacing cover, leave it off for about 15 mins to give the grill temp a chance to stabilize.

This thing is so neat, it ought to be against the law for a WSM.

Good Luck!

Dtdszpp.jpg

y5hffTp.png

wyZEiFY.jpg

2dgnlQu.jpg

Last edited:
Firebox full of wood and charcoal. No water pan nor heat deflector. All bottom vents closed except the one with the Guru adapter. Light up 1/3 of a chimney and spread over the top of the fuel in the firebox. Assemble the WSM with the top vent wide open and turn on the DigiQ set to 250-275. Let the big dog eat. 45 minutes later add the meat. This method worked for me for scores of cooks.

We take it even one step simpler than you guys!!

Fill up the charcoal ring with RO, add in our wood chunks. Light the RO right next to the vent with the DigiQ with a MAP Gas torch, let her burn for a couple of mins then assemble the cooker. Let the DigiQ bring her up to temp with both bottom vents closed and the top vent wide open. Takes about 30-45 mins for blue smoke (prep meats during this time). About the time I'm done preparing meats its ready for me to throw them on.

DigiQ holds it right at 275 all day long!

(also have had good success with the same method using an IQ110, but I like the DigiQ better)

When I had my WSM and used the Pitmaster IQ-120, I would attach the fan mount to a vent, open the other two vents, and fire her up. When the temp got to about 50 below my target temp, I'd close the other two vents and let the IQ bring her the rest of the way up.

As far as the upper vent, pretty sure I always left it wide open. On my LSG cabinet I close the exhaust like you mention. On the WSCG, it's like the WSM, wide open. Give it a try and go with what works best for you.

I happen to be the proud owner of Terry's former IQ-120. I fill the basket, take out 12 coals (for a 225 degree cook), light them in the chimney, then pour them back into place when lit. With the bottom vents closed and the top vent wide open, I let the 120 do its thing. I clip the pit temp probe on the top grate. Couldn't be easier.

I used my WSMs for years with no control and for the most part they held over night....having said that, I like my sleep and I got an ATC (stoker) a handful of years ago.

Luckily, I get a full & comfortable nights sleep without the use of a fan. I let my WSM do as it wants. Heck, I'm to the point that I rarely even check it after I put the meat on. I typically load it & don't worry about it again until the morning.

Couldn't be easier.

Actually, it can be easier. But I like gadgets as much as the next guy. The biggest thing is to do whatever gives you the most confidence. That, after all, is half the cook.

Back