Upgrading from 18.5 WSM -- shgould I get 22.5 or something else?

Fair enough, that's def true.

I've ended THIS one (hell, that's probably not true either). My 18.5" and I are going out with a bang this weekend with a 14lb packer brisket.

Then it's likely off to a new home with some friends, if I can sell it. Guy's got a Brinkmann electric barrel cooker. Ya know, the one where the lid doesn't even sit on right, and it cooks at like 300-350? Yeah that one. Poor bastard, I'm gonna hook him up for a good price, hopefully.

The other thing I've never understood about the WSM door discussion is why is there ever a need to add fuel? ... Maybe for water? :noidea: Never had to add fuel in the UDS drum and have burned dang near 20 hours....17 hours with lump

The other thing I've never understood about the WSM door discussion is why is there ever a need to add fuel? ... Maybe for water? :noidea: Never had to add fuel in the UDS drum and have burned dang near 20 hours....17 hours with lump

You'd be surprised, more than anything, at how easy it is to remove racks of ribs and other cuts through the door of a WSM. Additionally, it helps when you're using large wood chunks and want to turn them over to expose the coal to an unburned side. Just helps keep a nice consistent smoke-stream going.

As far as water -- nah, there's no advantage. I just pour water straight through the grates from up top

Sometimes though, I don't wanna burn that much coal, and instead of trying to starve the fire and saving leftover coals, I'd rather just burn less in general. Sometimes that means adding some coals later on. Typically though I just go with a Minion method and it works out for long-term cooks, especially with my HeaterMeter rigged up.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised, more than anything, at how easy it is to remove racks of ribs and other cuts through the door of a WSM. Additionally, it helps when you're using large wood chunks and want to turn them over to expose the coal to an unburned side. Just helps keep a nice consistent smoke-stream going.

That, and sometimes I don't wanna burn that much coal, and instead of trying to starve the fire and saving coals, I'd rather just burn less in general. Sometimes that means adding some coals later on.
It's just anything that gives a chance for more air leakage I could do without.

I do know what you mean about about saving coals but that's a moot point for me now because i do a side to side burn and what isn't used up goes for the next cook which works out perfect because you get TBS in a few minutes of lighting.

It's just anything that gives a chance for more air leakage I could do without.

That's fair but to each his own. Cheap nomex gaskets can fix any leakage issues, the Cajun Bandit door seals up as a nice replacement, and the number 1 reason I stuck with the WSM ---- it's modular.

I can't transport a UDS without a truck. I can stick a WSM's top and bottom in my car's trunk and the body sideways on the backseat. Just did it with my 18.5 just fine. That's something the UDS can never do.

I can't transport a UDS without a truck. I can stick a WSM's top and bottom in my car's trunk and the body sideways on the backseat. Just did it with my 18.5 just fine. That's something the UDS can never do.

So true! That's one reason i made this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767

Also there's things the UDS can do the WSM can never do so it goes both ways for sure.

Indirect cook and sear or just grill or just sear, just grilled up some hamburgers yesterday. If you want to do a reverse sear it's a piece of cake.

That's where my pellet pooper comes in handy. Love doing reverse sear with it. I just set it to 160-170, let the meat smoke to 110, wrap in foil and a towel, crank the pit to 600F, and toss em on the grill grates.

It's incredibly versatile, yet I still find myself using a charcoal smoker plenty, since the flavor is so different.

That's where my pellet pooper comes in handy. Love doing reverse sear with it. I just set it to 160-170, let the meat smoke to 110, wrap in foil and a towel, crank the pit to 600F, and toss em on the grill grates.

It's incredibly versatile, yet I still find myself using a charcoal smoker plenty, since the flavor is so different.

This isn't my drum but it shows the fire sear...thing gets stupid hot. One of these days i'll temp it. I sure know i've lost some knuckle hair once. lol

Back