Ugly A$$ Bird....

I kicked your free-range organic turkey's butt!

picture.php

This bird was so ugly, my family didn't trust it. When I took it off the WSM, my mother was like ... "Wow, it came out pretty". The skin was crispy with just the right salt... Almost like eating a potato chip. As always, the meal started late. The bird rested a little over 2 hours. Juicy and very flavorful. Harvest brine is excellent!

7PBNAaG.jpg

After doing some research I found out that birds that have dark brown feathers will have spots all over the skin. Whatever it is this is the ugliest bird I've ever seen. maybe it'll look different when the skin browns up LOL

I scrolled through the first page thinking...wait, wtf, nothing is wrong with that bird.

But I've been turkey hunting before and grew up near farms. The vast majority of birds we consume from factory farms are this basically almost albino variety of all white birds that don't naturally occur in nature. Same thing with chickens, cornish game hens, pigs, and even eggs.

Wild turkeys or heritage breeds are very dark and actually handsome looking birds. Once plucked they don't have pale, white skin.

This post reminds me of people freaking out after eating non white shelled eggs and then realizing what they have been missing their whole life.

Back