Turkey and brisket on the Shirley Fab - pic heavy 56K death

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I bought two turkeys last week, and I'd planned to do one of them prior to Thanksgiving day on the Shirley to see if I preferred the results over the Weber kettle rotisserie I normally do (more on that later). However, I was in the middle of a kitchen remodel and ran out of time, and ended up just doing the Thanksgiving Day turkey on the Weber rotisserie, since I knew about how long it'd take and what the results would be - always awesome. However, I still had that other turkey I needed to cook as well as a couple briskets I'd been wet aging in the fridge, so yesterday I fired up the Shirley and gave it a whirl.

The turkey was injected with Butcher BBQ chipotle bird booster and left injected for 24 hours. I rubbed under the skin on the breasts with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and then used that on the outside of the skin for color.

I gave the briskets a slather of mustard and pickle juice, then rubbed with Cooper's Old Time Seasoning (my favorite for brisket) and let them sit overnight as well. One brisket was 10lbs after trimming and the other was 9lbs...took about 4lbs of fat off each.

For wood I used a mix of hickory and pecan and it was a real hands off cook...the wood was dry just how I liked it and the cooker hummed along between 275 and 300*. It was really windy here yesterday but the Shirley didn't seem to mind one bit. I wrapped the briskets at 165*, the smaller one took almost 9 hours and the larger took a little over 10 hours to probe tender. The turkey took about 6 hours to hit 165* in the breast, a little longer than I expected.

The turkey was *amazing*, I didn't think it would be possible to turn out better turkey than what I can do on the rotisserie but I was wrong. Despite a slightly dark color, it wasn't overly smokey, just had a real good wood fired taste. I'm a convert now. The brisket came out spot on too...juicy and passed all the tests (probe, pull, and taste) with flying colors.

Really pleased with how the cook turned out, especially the turkey as it was my first time making one on a stick burner.

Last edited:
"Thanks! My brisket game has greatly improved after I started removing the remote probes at 195* and just rely on feel.”

So much truth here. I had “drum temp creep) in the night. Woke up early only to find drum at 350. I just knew it was awful but I squeezed its flat....BINGO!!!!!....point being no matter the temp it “is ready when it is ready”. Congrats on a WONDERFUL looking cook!!

Not a big fan of turkey, but all these great cooks have me thinking I should try one on the Lang just to see.

Great cook!

Not a big fan of turkey, but all these great cooks have me thinking I should try one on the Lang just to see.

I used to hate turkey when it was given to me in my younger days. Then I cooked my own and realized I was just eating dry ass turkey and wasn't served anything better. The same goes for brisket.

Really nice all the way around. Love the aggressive, or what I call a normal brisket trim.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, it'll probably be my last cook for a bit - at least of brisket or pork - I've amassed quite a bit of vacuum sealed barbecue and the deep freeze is now full. Time to eat up some of my winter stash :thumb:

Back