Tribute to the Robles Doble Burger.....Update: Lil Bobby B takes one down!

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered :confused:

It great that you could go back and share the experience with your son, Bob!

Well, it was a Son and Dad morning. Got haircuts at Abel's Barber Shop and got an idea about asking Lil Bobby B if he felt he was up for taking on a Robles Doble burger for lunch! Now, he has a really good appetite, but this is a pretty big burger! Coco, the owner, was a bit surprised I was ordering two doubles...........he asked my son if he had the "warehouse/belly" for it? Well, looks like he did. While we waited, Coco handed us a taco with a big chuck of pork carnita in it. It was good stuff. He treats his customers really good. He tossed an extra burrito in one guys order and the talk is always good in there.
WP_20150110_001_zps8641cf66.jpg

WP_20150110_002_zpsea1ed6dd.jpg

Remember, that's two patties, two slices of ham, one hot dog, two slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion in there along with some mustard and lots of mayo.
WP_20150110_004_zps36dbe03a.jpg

We had to cut it in half as it was falling apart on him. A few more bites to go.
WP_20150110_006_zpsb32da0df.jpg

DONE!! I was freakin amazed! Coco and his son who run the place laughed in amazement too. He had a carnita taco before this too.
WP_20150110_007_zps54bf4f58.jpg

Established in 1960! Pini Wini is Beanie Weanie. You can see his food truck on the right. Dang good food and atmosphere. Just a little hole in the wall place with awesome food!
BURGER COMA!!!:heh: VVVVV 5 Minutes after leaving! LOL!
WP_20150110_008_zps699db17b.jpg

Bobby, that place looks familiar from somewhere in my mind...where is it? What part of town?

By the way, looks like a great day for dad and son...

Dan, that little place has been many different little restaurants. Robles will be around for a while! It's on Alameda (Lower Valley). That's my old stomping grounds!

Bob

Last edited:
I feel like this OP is why we're all here. It's why we all cook. Food defines us. It transcends time. It forms bonds, memories, and experiences. It makes us want to strive to be better. Thanks for that great read Bob.

I feel like this OP is why we're all here. It's why we all cook. Food defines us. It transcends time. It forms bonds, memories, and experiences. It makes us want to strive to be better. Thanks for that great read Bob.

I agree. As we walked in, Coco was talking to some customers who had just finished their lunch. He quickly pointed and me and asked me about how many years ago it was that I had eaten at his Dad's old place? It was a good 20 years ago, easy!!! When we got up to the counter to order, he tells the guy again,........"See, 20 years ago at my Dad's old restaurant and now he's bringing his son in here....another generation!":thumb:

Bob

Bob, there are places I still go, that my dad and I ate at, they still mean a lot to me, even as I go on 7 years without him. Invaluable memories.

Sadly, one of the last closed up last year, called La Perla. A legend of Cal-Mex food, deep in the ghetto, terrible if you like actual Mexican food. But, they had been there since 1947, the daughters had worked for my dad in the 1950's. He was loyal, I was 12 before I knew there were other Mexican restaurants.

Enjoy these moments.

Bob, there are places I still go, that my dad and I ate at, they still mean a lot to me, even as I go on 7 years without him. Invaluable memories.

Sadly, one of the last closed up last year, called La Perla. A legend of Cal-Mex food, deep in the ghetto, terrible if you like actual Mexican food. But, they had been there since 1947, the daughters had worked for my dad in the 1950's. He was loyal, I was 12 before I knew there were other Mexican restaurants.

Enjoy these moments.

When you find a good place, keep going. I'm glad I was able to find this place again. I look forward to his son taking over the business one day and years from now, my son taking his son and family for some Robles!

How is Cal-Mex different from Tex-Mex?

Bob

I actually don't know. Having never had Tex-Mex, I can't make a comparison. But, I have been told by several Texans, that it was not Tex-Mex, nor was it Mexican (which I knew). It was mild, easy to eat, still flavorful, but, a lot less chile oriented in some of the dishes.

On the other hand, their burritos did not come stuffed with a salad, the tacos were meat, pico and a corn tortilla and they sold jamaica agua fresca. And outstanding fried potatoes.

Great thread Bob! Seen some names I haven't seen in a while in the original responses too. Family and food - that's where it's at!

Cal-Mex and Tex-Mex - I don't know nearly as much as I should, esp. given the fact that I've lived in CA and TX. I'd say you'll find more Oaxacan type stuff around here with the mole and whatnot, and maybe Veracruz with the seafood type stuff. I don't recall seeing much of that in TX, but then again, I don't recall much about my time in TX. :twitch: (I'm much better now...).

Seriously though, I'm realizing that I know way to little about Mexican food, which I really like, given the long time I've been out this way. I should pay more attention. :tsk:

I actually don't know. Having never had Tex-Mex, I can't make a comparison. But, I have been told by several Texans, that it was not Tex-Mex, nor was it Mexican (which I knew). It was mild, easy to eat, still flavorful, but, a lot less chile oriented in some of the dishes.

On the other hand, their burritos did not come stuffed with a salad, the tacos were meat, pico and a corn tortilla and they sold jamaica agua fresca. And outstanding fried potatoes.

That sounds more straight up like Mexican food. A real burrito doesn't come with salad, sour cream, etc in it. :becky: Just the filling. Jamaica is my favorite. If you can ever buy the dried hibiscus flowers and make your own, do so. GOOD STUFF! Papas fritas is the Mexicann French fry. :heh:

As much as I love chile, it really is only one part of any cuisine is it associated with. It doesn't always need to be a part of the dish.

Bob

potato and chile burrito, so worth finding GTR

I used to get potato burritos at a place that were so dang good I got food poisoning there and still went back. :shocked:

That sounds more straight up like Mexican food. A real burrito doesn't come with salad, sour cream, etc in it. :becky: Just the filling. Jamaica is my favorite. If you can ever buy the dried hibiscus flowers and make your own, do so. GOOD STUFF! Papas fritas is the Mexicann French fry. :heh:

As much as I love chile, it really is only one part of any cuisine is it associated with. It doesn't always need to be a part of the dish.

Bob

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing all that extra stuff in burritos until I got out here. And I never heard of anybody worrying about lard in beans or tortillas until I moved out here. I'm worried if there isn't lard!

Great thread Bob! Seen some names I haven't seen in a while in the original responses too. Family and food - that's where it's at!

Cal-Mex and Tex-Mex - I don't know nearly as much as I should, esp. given the fact that I've lived in CA and TX. I'd say you'll find more Oaxacan type stuff around here with the mole and whatnot, and maybe Veracruz with the seafood type stuff. I don't recall seeing much of that in TX, but then again, I don't recall much about my time in TX. :twitch: (I'm much better now...).

Seriously though, I'm realizing that I know way to little about Mexican food, which I really like, given the long time I've been out this way. I should pay more attention. :tsk:

See, that is what I would LOVE to eat more of......seafood heavy Mexican type food. I guess it comes down to the area, the protein that is most available. Mole's are a whole nother world on their own. Next time, I'll take some pics of the inside and the food set up inside. Coco has one of those steam/warming tables with many containers full of different goodies from beans, rice, mole, beanie weenie, chicharron, picadillo, chile con queso, rajas, chile verde and rojo, and some of his own inventions.
There are some cool sayings in Spanish on the wall....."If we don't have it, we'll invent it!" "If you don't like the food, you pay double for it!" :becky: His catch phrase is, "I got this new invention....." Some new spin a dish he came up with and then he gives you a taco sample of the stuff. Simple, little place but dang good food. Spent $12 for the burgers, drinks, and he gave us a taco sample. Can't beat it.
potato and chile burrito, so worth finding GTR

Papas con chile is great....papas con chile and chorizo....MMMMM!!!

Reminds me of the "Bratzel" here in town at the Draft House.

Bratzel Burger, with Angus chuck beef, smoked bratwurst, applewood smoke bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar and Swiss cheese, pickles and fried sweet onions, served on a pretzel bun,

Last edited:
Yes, potatoes, chile and chorizo is outstanding, in a nice flour tortilla. I can remember eating those, from a thermos, you can stuff a burrito or two into a wide mouth thermos. Gonna get some jamaica flowers, I bet the local market has them.

We have a place here that does a whole fried rockcod, they call it Veracruz style (I've never been to Veracruz, so I assume it is true). It's a stunning dish, served at a strip mall burrito joint.

Back