Too low and slow? A brisket cook question

johnnylightnin

Full Fledged Farker
I fired up the BGE last night and attempted my first overnight long cook. I went to bed around midnight and we were at 240 or so. I woke up around 1:30 and my BGE was at 200. I opened up the vents a bit and went back to bed. Woke up around 4 the temp was 188. I got up and got it back to 240. My internal temp on the brisket was never below 140 during the temp slouch, so I think it’s safe, but what am I looking at when I slice?

I just wrapped it in butcher paper with internal temps around 175. Egg seems settled in around 245.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 14" WSM, what I find is airflow can be a bit tricky with larger items. This can cause airflow / heat issues especially as the charcoal burns down and gets covered in ash.

You were using lump and not charcoal right? Charcoal for me often puts off so much ash it chokes the fire so, a bit more effort to 'stir' the coals is needed.

For health and safety, remember there is a big difference between ground meat and solid muscles. Even if the internal temperature drops into the 'danger zone', the surface likely didn't. Secondly, your 'danger zone' time was probably pretty insignificant overall. In my case, I just stir the coals and/or add some more to get the temps back up and I typically get really good results even if the internal temperature drooped. In fact with some cuts it can add to the tenderness and juiciness.

On my 14" WSM, what I find is airflow can be a bit tricky with larger items. This can cause airflow / heat issues especially as the charcoal burns down and gets covered in ash.

You were using lump and not charcoal right? Charcoal for me often puts off so much ash it chokes the fire so, a bit more effort to 'stir' the coals is needed.

For health and safety, remember there is a big difference between ground meat and solid muscles. Even if the internal temperature drops into the 'danger zone', the surface likely didn't. Secondly, your 'danger zone' time was probably pretty insignificant overall. In my case, I just stir the coals and/or add some more to get the temps back up and I typically get really good results even if the internal temperature drooped. In fact with some cuts it can add to the tenderness and juiciness.

I was using lump. I never actually saw my internal temps go down. I think my mistake was putting the meat on before the egg has stabilized. It’s been a “temp chase”, but we’re finally dialed in and nearing the finish line.

Welp, I thought it was good. I didn’t do a great job on the trim and had some fat cap approaching 1/2 in in some places. Flavor was good (not as much smoke as I prefer, but very good). I think it was a little overcooked, but nobody seems too disappointed. [emoji1787]
6f517329e8c972a1466d92c0ae53b167.jpg

e2aa2d3d1b5d2033f1a4a00d00e9bef8.jpg

a20a9b18d925e80de118efc66875ac18.jpg

I'm curious to know why you cook it this way especially if the end result is only a "decent" brisket. :confused:

Fair question, I do it for timing and the insulated pellet smoker gets extra smoke on the meat. Easy to put brisket on at 8pm for lunch the next day, not sayin that I'm lazy!

As far as "decent", I'll try to stay humble and remember some of my comps that I was the brisket champ. I do remember multiple wins now that I think about it.:cool:

Fair question, I do it for timing and the insulated pellet smoker gets extra smoke on the meat. Easy to put brisket on at 8pm for lunch the next day, not sayin that I'm lazy!

As far as "decent", I'll try to stay humble and remember some of my comps that I was the brisket champ. I do remember multiple wins now that I think about it.:cool:

So in other words decent was an understatement. :mrgreen:

If you had overcooked it too much it would have been flaky when sliced. Looks good. Did you use any wood chunks?

Thanks Mike. I did use some hickory, but it was toward the bottom of the bag, so most of the chunks were smaller than I like. Next time I’ll try to layer in more wood. I think I’ll also start with all fresh lump...and I’ll be selective (larger lump to ensure good air flow.

Ultimately, I don’t think I was patient enough on the front end. I should’ve started the fire earlier and let it get to a good stable 225 before adding the meat.

After 13 hours on the brisket, there was plenty of lump left. It’s easily the most efficient cooker I’ve ever used.

Back