THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thats how I feel about it. Lots of time and money invested. Not too worried about the drinking and partying (most of my family and friends are pretty tame). At our first comp I felt a little awkward doing things in front of everybody (kinda like "all eyes were on me"). I felt kind of selfish about my techniques, etc.
Hmmm sounds like you and Brendan from transformer would get along just fine:rolleyes::biggrin:

A few different things come to mind when I see that picture..............The Thundering Herd......................and the movie Earthquake! and the beginning of The Monkees Theme Song....................
Here They Come
Walking Down The Street
They Get The Funniest Looks From
Everyone One They Meet!:-D

Great picture Scottie!

I guess another thing (to get this thread back on the subject) is to not do contests within 100 miles of home. that seems to be the majic number for me as far as non-BBQers coming. A lot can be said about just being around fellow BBQ'ers who truely understand what all needs to happen and what all goes on. You can see your F&F anytime, but your BBQ buds, you don't get to see much. Also, with you all being really new at this, you're better off too to have your F&F stay at home, so you'll have more time to mingle and make more new freinds that are associated with BBQ. You'll get to the point to where whatever contest you go to, you'll always have somebody you know competing there. That's a big part of the fun. Also, you can't pick up some good tips without mingling.

I think the single biggest thing is to let your teammates know what you (as pitboss) expect from them. We have ten different beers and a copious amount of booze on hand for every event, but we 'meats' know what we each are supposed to be doing, and we do it, regardless of sleep deprivation and hangovers.

Guests are great, but even our young kids know that they need to get the hell outta the EZ-UPs between 11:30 and 2. So TELL yer guests what you expect as well.

I understand some people's need for privacy, and lately I kinda feel as if there has been some shigging going on at our site, but I don't normally worry that someone else is going to duplicate what we do. Good luck to those trying.

My humble opinion is that you may be too worried about the super secret part of it.
Try to have fun, that is the point... along with winning, of course. The money that you put out to compete should give you the courage to 'chat' with everyone.

Best of luck and I hope we see you out there!
p.s. we are NOT the ones sleeping....

Sounds like you guys might need some shigging cups...

Will trade shiggin cups for NEBS t-shirt...

If they're "Friends and Family" why would you want to keep secrets from them ? Sometimes having too many people can get a little hectic but another shot of Patron usually takes care of the problem. I enjoy having people around, hanging out and having a good time. If that was not part of the whole comp scene then I probably wouldn't bother. Lighten up people.

I understand some people's need for privacy, and lately I kinda feel as if there has been some shigging going on at our site,

Damn, I got busted. Lunchmeat was right behind me at New Paltz and I couldn't help but sneak a peak or two. :icon_blush:

To the original question, no I don't worry about my guests stealing any secrets. I do get pissed when they don't help cleanup tho!

There is a time and a place for everything. We welcome all friends and family as well but need to be focused during the fastest ninety minutes at the comp (from 12 to 1:30) after that and the day before let the good times roll!:-D

Thats how I feel about it. Lots of time and money invested. Not too worried about the drinking and partying (most of my family and friends are pretty tame). At our first comp I felt a little awkward doing things in front of everybody (kinda like "all eyes were on me"). I felt kind of selfish about my techniques, etc.

Did you win the comp and take first place in all 4 categories ? If not then probably by the time you do your third or 4th comp those won't be your recipes and techniques anyway LOL :biggrin:

My wife and I have already scheduled our second and third comp (yes we've been bitten by the bug). Since this is all we talk about; lots of family, friends and co-workers have asked to help us at the next comp. This is the entire reason I got involved with comp Q-ing to have fun with family and friends and to meet new friends. My question is: How do you entertain friends and family by letting them help at comps without giving away all your techniques and "SECRETS"? My wife and I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars buying stuff. We've spent countless days practicing and honing our sauces, rubs, and marinades. FIRST of all...I'm a big mouth; I normally tell everything! But in this case, I feel like I've got a lot of time, effort and money involved. I don't thinks its right to just give everything away. Don't get me wrong, I help people all the time with Q-ing and I'm more than happy to give anyone basic starting points to build their OWN products and techniques. Secondly, tell me if I'm wrong and being too serious about this whole thing! What would you do? Thanks!

I think at this stage of your competition career you should spend your time and energy getting as many tips and tricks from winning teams rather than trying to protect the secrecy of what you're doing.

Unless you have something that is a proven competitive advantage or are some how monetizing your efforts, why be so secretive?

I started putting the sides up during my first contests... and it wasn't to keep secrets. I got spotted next to a couple heavy hitters and I put the sides up so they wouldn't see what I was doing. And by that... I didn't want the vet's to be sitting in their chairs with some cocktails saying "watch, watch... look what he's doing... hahaha... he just messed that up... hahaha... bet he gets last.... hahaha... whoa! that rub on pork? hahaha... "

Now I do it because of habit, and I got sick of rain coming though and having to scramble... and because of the chit I get because my wife trims brisket...

I started putting the sides up during my first contests... and it wasn't to keep secrets. I got spotted next to a couple heavy hitters and I put the sides up so they wouldn't see what I was doing. And by that... I didn't want the vet's to be sitting in their chairs with some cocktails saying "watch, watch... look what he's doing... hahaha... he just messed that up... hahaha... bet he gets last.... hahaha... whoa! that rub on pork? hahaha... "

Now I do it because of habit, and I got sick of rain coming though and having to scramble... and because of the chit I get because my wife trims brisket...

Just because we made fun of your tv set ?

I just couldn't even imagine ISS harrassing someone... As that team is usually so tight, they are wound up like a rubber band... They make me nervous they are so tight...

I didn't know you had all that going on... The biggest thing i hate about people visiting that don't know what bbqqcompetition is about, is that they just think it's nothing more than a neighborhood backyard cook out party

I never really knew just how old I am really getting until after that night.
Cross eyed they were! Ive been there before, but them days are over. Its hard to have your game face on when you are afraid someone is going to cause you a problem.
They really didnt hurt anything except maybe their livers.

By the morning everyone was back to normal. They slept it off, while I stayed up all night mad at the world guarding the cooker.:razz:
All shook hands and tried to forget about it.

I wont forget this lesson, I can forgive but I wont forget it.

F&F on friday..we generally tell to show up after 4PM....most everything important is done by then, may have chicken left to prep.....but sometimes don't do that until around 10PM

Saturday is game day.....sometimes they just pop in on you...I remember a contest last year where we're having to swerve in and out of them to get something done....that was nerve racking.....ask them to show up after 1:30.....they can help pack up! :)

I think at this stage of your competition career you should spend your time and energy getting as many tips and tricks from winning teams rather than trying to protect the secrecy of what you're doing.
Unless you have something that is a proven competitive advantage or are some how monetizing your efforts, why be so secretive?

I agree. I enjoy talking to other teams and getting great information (such as this website) but I would never ask for your recipes, etc. NOW if your willing to give them to me I'd be happy to listen:-D. I hope that I didn't come across wrong.....I really enjoy helping people and yes, we did pretty good our first time out, but I was only wondering how far everyone else goes to protect their work.

I almost stabbed a kid in the eyeball with a 12" Chef knife when they were playing tag or something and decided to cut right through my camp exactly at turnin time. My wife asked me where something was, so I spun around and started pointing at it while holding my knife at the exact moment some dumb a$$ 11yo kid decided to run into my tent because some girls were chasing him. He (and his parents) have no idea how close he came to being blind or dead. seriously.

I think you can tell your family and friends all you want to... they still have to DO THE WORK. They wont. I always hear "My sister makes the best BBQ... she takes country style ribs and a bottle of bbq sauce and slow cooks it in here crock pot..." or "My mom boils the ribs first to make them tender". You can't help those type of people.

Your friends and family are there because they want to score some good eats.... not your "secrets".

I almost stabbed a kid in the eyeball with a 12" Chef knife when they were playing tag or something and decided to cut right through my camp exactly at turnin time. My wife asked me where something was, so I spun around and started pointing at it while holding my knife at the exact moment some dumb a$$ 11yo kid decided to run into my tent because some girls were chasing him. He (and his parents) have no idea how close he came to being blind or dead. seriously.

I think you can tell your family and friends all you want to... they still have to DO THE WORK. They wont. I always hear "My sister makes the best BBQ... she takes country style ribs and a bottle of bbq sauce and slow cooks it in here crock pot..." or "My mom boils the ribs first to make them tender". You can't help those type of people.

Your friends and family are there because they want to score some good eats.... not your "secrets".

Man, that's one of the biggest reasons why I've decided not to go to some of the contests this year that I've been to..

Running wild kids..

I only know a small handful of teams who's got kids that know the routine and that are good kids and they have good parents. (Scottie's girls and Quau's boy comes to mind quickly) But the kids running around, screaming, on scooters, etc.. and like you said, running right thru people's sites... no excuse for that at all !!!!:icon_pissed:icon_pissed.. There are knives everywhere, large hot metal smokers, tables with raw meat on them, etc.. Luckily, those kind of kids and parents are few and far between.

Back