THoey1963's WSM Mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another frequently asked question is about the water pan. I use mine empty but wrapped in foil for ease of clean up. I have a Terra Cotta planter base (also wrapped) inside the pan to help with temp stability when opening the lid. Inside this, I also throw one of those cheap aluminum turkey roaster pans to catch most of the drippings. I clean this out after every cook and toss it when it gets too dirty.

When cooking things at high temps, like chicken, I remove the pan completely.

Terry, thanks for that most-helpful set of directions for your mods. I'm seriously considering a couple of them including the lid hinge and the Cajun bandit door mods. And I'm intrigued by the charcoal ash box. But can you do much with it during a cook without disassembling the entire smoker to do the coal shake?

So to my point: why no wheels? Moving my 22 around is one of my biggest beefs. I have a screen porch where it lives, but I move it outside to cook. I've found various wheel mods on TVWBB but I just haven't gotten around to adding them yet. Wondering if you'd thought about wheels?

Thanks for the comments SS.

I haven't had a cook that lasted long enough yet for me to be required to refill the charcoal basket, but I would think it would help in that case if needed. Just remove the middle section, shake the basket and remove, safely store hot ash, reload and rebuild.

As for the wheels, I haven't had to move my WSM, so I haven't thought to add wheels to it yet. If I ever get around to the tables, I will probably need to add them for the stability.

Thanks, just sharing information I found here and on other similar sites that have helped me love my WSM.

very nice mods, I did the gasket last year and after no less than 30 cooks in crazy hot and freezing weather it still is attached. it did tighten it up as far as air leaks and she cooks like a champ, again thanks for posting the pics..

Mod Note:

Due to issues with the pictures in this thread, THoey1963 has recreated the thread here. Please visit that thread to discuss his WSM mods

This thread has been closed to comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back