This Week in the Throwdowns: December 16, 2014

The throwdowns are great! Cook some good food, have some fun, and make some new friends.. And its a great excuse to cook crazy stuff... Like once I had to tell my wife, "But I need to grill a 3 1/2lb prime ribeye, honey.. Its for a throwdown!"

Or... Yea, I spent $40 on groceries just to cook a fatty.. Its for a throwdown!

What do you mean by "that sandwich is ridiculous? Its for a throwdown! And you should see Smoke Dawgs!"

But Seriously, no matter what level cook or photographer you are, you should come join the fun. Its a blast!

I've been going to the store so much I am seeing drop dead gorgeous ladies at WalMart.
Buy some meat, strike a fire-snap a photo and enter. You can't get a hit if you don't get in the batters box!!

LOL @ the first Throwdown in 2008. Folks talking about taking their 35mm prints to get scanned! :rofl:

And Ron has come a LONG way in his photography and presentation!

Meatloaf011.jpg

...and OH MY!!!! Can we get us some RTD back in this bish?

beefwellington-043.jpg

beefwellington-050.jpg

My goal in my first Throwdown is to NOT finish DAL.
There's still time ��⛳️����

When you look at the photos, you realize that someone wins-everyone else ties for 2nd (in my mind anyway"

And even if you can't enter one for some reason during a week, you as a Brethren can still exercise your right to vote in them and pick up some great tips. A new poll is erected every Monday on average.

You just might improve your photography skill too!

Here is my first entry into "Your Signature Dish TD"

As opposed to last weeks Tri-Tip Throwdown

It is a lot of fum and it also helps in weekly meal planning!

Jed

LOL @ the first Throwdown in 2008. Folks talking about taking their 35mm prints to get scanned! :rofl:

And Ron has come a LONG way in his photography and presentation!

Meatloaf011.jpg

That's still my go to meatloaf recipe :-D

I don't even remember taking that picture!

But... You don't need fancy equipment to take good pictures. Most of my entries are also our dinner, so I usually use my iPhone. Once in a while I'll grab my Olympus point and shoot camera, but only if it is handy.

After taking the pictures I import them onto my computer using Picasa, crop them to get rid of anything distracting or embarrassing (important!) and use Picasa's "I'm Feeling Lucky" enhancement. That's it. Just remember that the more light you have the better job the camera can do. I have a 4-tube florescent fixture in our kitchen that does a great job.

The throwdowns are great! Cook some good food, have some fun, and make some new friends.. And its a great excuse to cook crazy stuff... http://s791.photobucket.com/user/Shagdad1126/media/SteakEntryFinal_zps39fa429e.jpg.html

http://s791.photobucket.com/user/Shagdad1126/media/Submission_zps072bc387.jpg.html

What do you mean by "that sandwich is ridiculous? Its for a throwdown! And you should see Smoke Dawgs!"

But Seriously, no matter what level cook or photographer you are, you should come join the fun. Its a blast!

OK - Here is the sammich that was the first loser to Shag Dogs awesome sammich!

View attachment 105279

And yes we did eat it all............... but it took a couple days! and more beer than shown!

Great times!

Last edited:
Ppfffffftttt!

You guys and your 'spensive, fancy, schmancy cameras.......this is the official BobBrisket TD Winning Camera. We bought it back in 04 or 05. Joined the forum in 07 and remembered we had the damn thing. It beat using the crappy old cell phone I had back then. Still does the job! It's been dropped a few times and keeps on clickin!:becky: My keys to a good pic are simple. No tripod. I take pics before I get tipsy and I start swaying. OUTDOORS AND SUNLIGHT, and presentation. Shadows are nice too. Garnish, peppers, etc from the garden. :-D If I took a pic of Mike Tyson with this camera, the photo would come out looking like Halle Berry! It's THAT GOOD! I want to TD Halle! It's so good it took this pic of itself!
WP_20141217_002_zpsa207a4c7.jpg

Some of my firsts.
4162016832_81af244680_b_zps54ddde05.jpg

BobBrisket4_zps00ee1bd0.jpg

BobBrisket2_zps4fbaa1e4.jpg

BobBrisket_zps6435ce7e.jpg

BobBrisket3_zps2918867c.jpg

Don't make me show you the TD's I won with this CAMERA!
thA7ATBNA3_zpsab535856.jpg

I ate many of those meals kinda cold or had to nuke em cause I messed with em so much. Presentation is key. I don't know jack about photography. The camera does it. It comes down to capturing the meal or the story. I REALLY like how DerHusker takes pics and poses the food. ONE pic that really shows what it's all about is this one. One of my all time FAVS!
13371872994_f1f029def7_b_zps1a8a01aa.jpg

Last edited:
Just another viewpoint. I don't enter expecting to win. I enter when I am cooking something that fits the current theme, just for the fun of it. I haven't a clue what I would suggest for a theme if I won. Just be proud of what you have acomplished. Plus, it's fun to see the mods scramble about, wondering what to do if there are too many entries for the polling software!

Back