THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
After all the pictures of wing cooks from this past weekend, I definitely felt like my hand was forced. With that being said it was time for some wings on the vortex. Dry rubbed half of them with Dirty Bird Hot and the others were dipped in bbq sauce. Some of the best wings I've done with the vortex. Took fresh wings and cut them down. Cooked the wing tips for the dogs. Wife and mini me wanted hot dogs, the vortex said no problem. Wife said why don't you cook some smoked sausages for breakfast, and I agreed, why don't I? Since there was a big game happening we had to have a dip, so the wife whipped up her buffalo chicken dip. Only regret was on the way to work this morning I wish I had another sausage wrap. Thanks for looking.
d6660651d6583c65cdfef05e010d264f.jpg
d99c9f0109fb88409b87a22fc6bc16f9.jpg
1b0e422240755bf14368627e2b22631d.jpg
40606401ca2be11b0af92b7b0f922377.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Nice. I'm new to using the vortex for wings. Do you have any trouble with sauce burning? My grill gets over 600 degrees with the vortex. Last night I had the vents almost closed and it still pinned the needle. I am thinking a sweet sauce wouldn't hold up without burning. But yours look great. Maybe sauce at the end?

Nice. I'm new to using the vortex for wings. Do you have any trouble with sauce burning? My grill gets over 600 degrees with the vortex. Last night I had the vents almost closed and it still pinned the needle. I am thinking a sweet sauce wouldn't hold up without burning. But yours look great. Maybe sauce at the end?

I have not had a problem with it burning, but I don't sauce and leave them on the grill for another 20 minutes either. I sauce and let them stay maybe 2-3 minutes. I like putting the sauce on the grill so it will thin and warm. I did once have a problem with rub charring on some wings. Don't understand it because I have used the same rub on wings multiple times and never had a problem any other time.

After all the pictures of wing cooks from this past weekend, I definitely felt like my hand was forced. With that being said it was time for some wings on the vortex. Dry rubbed half of them with Dirty Bird Hot and the others were dipped in bbq sauce. Some of the best wings I've done with the vortex. Took fresh wings and cut them down. Cooked the wing tips for the dogs. Wife and mini me wanted hot dogs, the vortex said no problem. Wife said why don't you cook some smoked sausages for breakfast, and I agreed, why don't I? Since there was a big game happening we had to have a dip, so the wife whipped up her buffalo chicken dip. Only regret was on the way to work this morning I wish I had another sausage wrap. Thanks for looking.

Hi What did use the Vortex on to cook the wings.Will the Vortex work on my WSM22"
Thanks DanB

Hi What did use the Vortex on to cook the wings.Will the Vortex work on my WSM22"
Thanks DanB

Dan, I've always used mine on my Kettle I don't know if you might could somehow pull the middle out of the WSM out and use it some way or not. But I will tell you what I do love to do. Cook chicken directly over coals (no water pan) on my WSM. I think it's the best way to cook chicken. I get a big chimney of charcoal lit and get the WSM between 350-425* and cook the chicken on the top rack. There is enough distance to not worry about burning, but the direct heat crisps the skin up just how I like it. I also flip the chicken every 10-15 minutes just so it doesn't sit on the same side for too long. Like I said far and away my favorite way to cook chicken.

Great looking wings. If there's a better way to do wings other than the vortex I don't know about it. Add adding sausages never hurts.

Well played.

A most excellent looking array of goodies there! And from experience, it doesn't matter if you wanted one extra wrap or ten extra, you never seem to cook enough:wink:

Back