Thinking About a New Cooker

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Long time, no post. I've had a lot going on the last few months with my Mom being sick and passing in late January. It's been rough but I'm getting on top of it. My Dad passed in 2015. Because of this we got blessed with a decent inheritance. Most of it will be used wisely. But I am thinking of getting something to remember them by.

My Dad was from The Texas Hill country. My Mom from The Panhandle. They met in California near Santa Maria so guess what type of BBQ I was raised on LOL. I'm thinking of a SM open pit or an offset from Lone Star Grillz. I can get white oak for a reasonable price. And of course lots of fruit wood here in Idaho. Currently I have an Old Country Cabinet smoker, a Gateway Drum and an Oklahoma Joe dual gasser/offset.

I like the Gateway but for larger crowds it's a bit limited. So a set it-forget it with more capacity is also an option I'd consider. Whatever I get I want to be able to add some CNC artwork with The Family name. Santa Marie BBQ Outfitters and LSG both offer that option.

Would like to get in under $2k but for the right cooker I'd go a little higher.

Wesman will lift y'all up your family in my prayers. I think buying a pit is an awesome way to pay tribute to your parents. These two selections are pretty good too. I have never cooked on a Santa Maria style grill, but I think they are an awesome concept! I definitely love LSG grills and the job they do. I see no way you end up making a bad decision, and I am sure the grill will make many memories for years to come.

I think you're right but evidently you missed this in the OP's statement.

No. I didn't miss anything....

"I'm thinking of a SM open pit or an offset from Lone Star Grillz. I can get white oak for a reasonable price."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think Cascade does Santa Maria style. Arizona BBQ Grills makes some cool stuff.

http://www.azbbqgrills.com

I bought the Scottsdale Santa Maria Smoker from AZ grills about 4 years ago. We bought the 48" cooker. It has been a work horse. We just mounted it to my BBQ catering trailer and paired it with a 6' x 30" JH Smoker with a 4' vertical smoker/warming box over the firebox. I am so glad that I purchased the Scottsdale SM smoker from AZ because my county is cracking down on open and exposed SM pits. This one came with a hood and it saved my butt because I had already mounted and welded it to the trailer and I had no idea they changed the regs. Just my 2 cents on the SM smoker fromAZ

Check out Backline Fabrications on Instagram. Ryan has listened and responded to everything I have asked. He will build exactly what you want. His Santa Maria grills are where his true fabrication skills shine.

I have one of each that will be ready some time in the next month or so. I'm starting to get more excited about the Santa Maria than my smoker I think.

No. I didn't miss anything....

"I'm thinking of a SM open pit or an offset from Lone Star Grillz. I can get white oak for a reasonable price."

I’m notorious for making confusing statements. What I meant to say was that I’m considering either a Santa Maria style grill from Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters or an offset smoker from LSG. Being from Lompoc, CA I have reasons to go there and in fact will probably be there this summer. I can haul back a SM grill in my truck. Although I have family in Houston as well I don’t relish the 27 hour drive so would gladly pay for freight.

I also just found out about the gravity fed smoker from Old County. That’s a cool smoker and I could see that working for me also.

Back