Thin Black Smoke

McSpazatron

is one Smokin' Farker
I got my offset last February. Even though I cooked like crazy over the summer, I would say I'm still learning. About half of my cooks have been using only oak wood (the other half primarily lump charcoal). I've taken all the advice of cutting down splits to manageable sizes to ensure a good small, clean, hot fire. I think I got it down for the most part, if anything, the fire has generally been too clean (compared to the nice smoked flavor I can get from cooking with charcoal and with wood chips in smoking box).

So this last Sunday I decided on impulse to cook some ribs. Went looking for pork spare ribs, but didn't find any that I liked. The last place I checked also did not have spare ribs, but they had Beef Short Plate Ribs instead (capitalized out of due respect). Good problem to have...

It was two in the afternoon when I got home with the goods, so I decided on a hot and fast cook, which I have never done on purpose. I usually cook around 275. This time I decided to cook at around 325-350. I decided on using oak, and I used my usual sized splits, from an "established" batch of oak purchased earlier this year. The oak looked good, nothing odd about the pieces, well seasoned, and not too dry.

Anyway, to make a long story twice as long, I was struggling with thin black sooty smoke for most of the cook. It was not bellowing black smoke or anything like that, but it was a very thin black smoke. It was confirmed when I threw in some polish sausages in the middle of the cook. . The sassages were in there maybe 30 min, but they came out slightly sooted, without the usual golden, slightly shiny, smoke-kissed color that I usually get. They were edible, but not appealing to look at.

As to the particulars of the cook: Throughout the cooking process, the splits caught on fire all the way around within 15 seconds of putting them on the coal bed, and these were not even preheated! They stayed "vigorously" lit when I closed the FB door , I put one or two splits on at the same time about every 20-30min . So it can't be that I was smothering the fire. There was a strong breeze coming out of the smokestack. Airflow could not have been a problem.

As an aside, I did notice this happening once before on previous a cook using wood, and it was when I tried to bump up the temp in the middle of the cook.. Once it got real hot in the firebox, then I started seeing the black smoke. The firebox is insulated if it matters.

I honestly don't know what is going on. I have a theory that maybe the fire is so hot that it makes a type of plastic out of the resins inside the wood, and plastic burns black. The only reason it burned as thin black smoke is due to the high airflow and relatively clean combustion. Is this "plastic resin" theory reasonable? Can a wood fire be too hot for cooking? (I'm talking about too hot as in inside the firebox---the temp in the cook-chamber was fine.) Is it possible to make oak splits get angry at you if you try to push them too hard? Did I discover some sort of "Phase 2 combustion regime" of oak burning?

This is a mystery that I haven't been able to shake since Sunday. Any ideas? Rampant speculation is acceptable if that's all you have. However I will rest easier if a there is a thermodynamic engineer in the house that could shed some light on this.

Oddly enough, the ribs turned out fine. They could have rendered a bit more, but it was 8pm. Not the best batch out of the two other batches I've cooked so far, but still good (they didn't taste sooty, maybe because they sweated the soot off, or I washed it off with the vinegar spritz?, who knows. )

I'm leaning toward the fuel being responsible. Have you tested out different species from different suppliers? If so, what were the results similar?

Play around with your woods and see what happens.

I've had oak up to 375-400 in my offset with an insulated firebox. Only seen black smoke once, waited a couple minutes, stayed black, pulled the stick out and used a different stick. Tried that same stick a month later and it was giving off black smoke again. Blew it off as too green or an anomaly.

If you haven't used the smoker and it collected moisture you can get this effect. My guess is you can just crank the heat up for an hour or so and you will have cleaned out any moisture or gunk. From there just let your temps and see if your smoke clears up.

Was the bottom of your cook chamber clean? The only time I've seen smoke like that was when there was a fair amount of grease on the bottom of the cooker.
Other wise, I'd say let the wood age some more and use other wood in the mean time.

My guess is also that it was grease related.. You were cooking much hotter than usual, probably hot enough to to make any accumulated grease/debris in the bottom of your smoker cook/smoke. Even most of the higher smoke point oils smoke around 350, most others are between 3-350...

When I start seeing a constantly dirty smoke when I know for a fact my fire and wood is primo, I know it's time to clean the cooker out. Also, look to see where the smoke is rolling from when you open the door. On mine, which is reverse flow, it'll pour off of the plate instead of the open end of the chamber.

Another vote for grease and a good cleaning of your cooker! Along with cleaning out the accumulated grease and bits, I would advocate doing some kind of burnout and reseasoning of your cooker.

If it is grease, you are lucky you did not have a big fire. In any event, here is the steam cleaning process recommended by Lang:

"Steam Cleaning Process
When temperature gauge reaches about 300 degrees Fahrenheit, open smoker cooker door and spray/mist water inside on all surfaces with water hose. (This is the steaming process). Then, let fire re-heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit again and repeat spray/mist process. Steam cleaning inside entire cooking area. Then, add a large piece or two of split wood, close chimney damper to 45 degrees and fire box vents to almost closed, and let cooker "smoke cure" which creates a hardwood smoke glaze. Clean your grill after each cooking."

http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/resources/tips_caring_instructions.html

I try to steam clean mine after every cook. I let the dirty water run out of the pit into a bucket, dump it out, and repeat.

Next time this happens to you,try opening the fire box door 3 or 4 inches. The reason for doing this is that when you are cooking hot and fast you normally have more wood burning and more flames producing more BTU's of heat.There for the air inlet dampers may not allow enough air flow for TBS.This allows more air in.I run my Lang with the fire box door open quit often,especially at higher temps.Try it if you like and see if the thin black smoke stops. As mentioned above grease or green wood could be the cause also.Keep us posted on what you find out.

My vote is green wood. Oak takes twice as long to season than other hard woods. I try to get 2 summers and if possible 2 years on red oak.

Grease related. This happened to me when I was new to my reverse flow stick burner. I moved my smoker to a new location and did not check the leveling on it. While doing a cook I noticed the same thing. The end away from the firebox was elevated and the grease collected at the firebox end. I noticed this when I opened the door and the smoke was coming from the reverse flow plate, where I saw the grease collecting. Lowered the front end to the correct level and cleaned out the smoker. never had a problem since.

Thanks for the theories. Ill take the suggestions one by one to demonstrate why im so stumped (no pun intended)

I keep my cooker, including the bottom of the cook chamber very clean. I scrape it out after every cook and wipe it down with a bit of vinegar. It was properly leveled throughout the cook.

Cracking open the door didnt do much. The TBS just came out of the door instead.

I may still be calibrating my eye as to what properly seasoned oak is, but i would be surprised if the wood wasnt perfectly seasoned. Made a nice sharp knocking noise when knocked together. Sounded like two bats being hit against each other. They split very readily with a maul.

As far as moisture, the smoker is kept inside and covered. My offset takes about half an hour of good heat to sweat out the moisture. The thin black smoke was happening throughout the six hours I was cooking, well after the initial warmup.

Even though i think the wood is seasoned well, the comment from pjtexas has got me thinking. Something about the wood? Maybe the oak came from a tree was sucking up nasty water all its life? Although this batch wasn't giving off black smoke when cooking at my normal 275. I dont know. Id like to try cooking with some hickory, but i have to save up for a while. That stuff is twice as much as oak.

Confused as ever...

is there a retail store where you can buy some kiln dried wood? that stuff is pretty much guaranteed to be over dried. you wouldn't need much to test with.

is there a retail store where you can buy some kiln dried wood? that stuff is pretty much guaranteed to be over dried. you wouldn't need much to test with.

Yeah, the local menards has bags of mini hickory splits fron OK joes. Used it once for adding smoke. That stuff was bone dry. Would probably need two bags for a short cook. Probably run me 30 bucks to do that though.

I think i really just need to save my pennies for a face cord of hickory. I have been really wanting to cook with that. Having a sufficient quantity to experiment at different temps would be nice.

It just sucks that im broke at the moment.

Thin Black Smoke: Part Deux

I tried to bump the original thread for an update, but apparently we can't bump old threads: Here is the original post for reference http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237760

As a quick summary, I was getting thin black smoke on a previous cook while I was trying to cook hot and fast. I had plenty of airflow, and used good wood.

Anyway, recently I cooked a pork belly and I think the mystery with the black smoke is solved!

Drum roll please....I'm pretty sure it just comes down to burning the wood too hot, with too much of a flame, and with insufficient coal bed.

On my successful pork belly cook, I decided to establish a bigger coal bed, and I choked down the intake quite a bit...actually way more compared to the usual wide open. The result was a hot cooking temp, but this time with sweet blue or white smoke. Whenever I peeked in the firebox, the flames coming off the wood were much more subdued and slow rolling, and had a much more blue color, as opposed to the hyperactive, hot bright yellow flame that produced the thin black smoke.

So the moral of the story is, don't be afraid to choke down the intake as long as your coal bed is big and hot enough. Having that hot coal bed will help keep the wood lit nicely without the flame going nuts.

I think I may have taken the advice of a hot small fire a bit too literally. It can be hot and small, but all the heat shouldn't come from the flame primarily. The bulk of the heat should be coming from the coal bed, with the new log/s being the source of smoke, That's my story and I'm sticking to it...at least until my next cook proves me wrong :tongue:

Back