Theres Something out on my deck and its smoking.......

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
A month ago I was blissfully unaware of what a smoker even was. I thought I knew what BBQ meant and even thought I had one. And Bacon, that came from the store. But I am getting ahead of myself.

After years of cajoling one of my daughters finally got me to cave and allow her to get a couple piglets. Well they grew and I decided we would do the skinning and gutting of them ourselves when the time came (and also cut and wrap at least one of the 2 ourselves) At this point the daughter involved took herself out of this story and hasn't spoken to me since but she knew the deal so hopefully in time she will forgive me.

Then I thought I would google making your own bacon and started down that road. Just used our propane grill (what I thought was a BBQ) to smoke it after brining That worked but it was obvious an actual smoker would be better so I made the mistake of googling that and saw some really cool creations (offsets I think they were called). That got me in a creative mood so started looking for ideas and kept stumbling on suggestions to go the UDS route. After reading again and again how they were simple and great for starting out decided to give it a try. And that the entire project would have to be built out of materials we already had laying around. Starting reading the mother of all UDS threads and I am about 1/2 way through. Hopefully by the end of 2019 I will have finished reading it, that thing is ridiculous but every time I think of quitting someone posts a pic of some crazy ingenious modification they came up with and I have to keep going.

Even though I am only 1/2 way through there is a type of UDS (well not exactly a drum though, an old water pressure tank that was rusting away behind the shop) puffing away about an hour into its seasoning smoke as I type. Wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed to that thread as its been a huge help. Hopefully the food side of the equation goes well, hope to try some ribs sunday.

Hopefully I can get a pic up but that capability is eluding me so far. will do some research and try again. Would like to get them on in such a way that the pics hang around. going through the mother of all uds threads there a lots of areas without pics that must have had them at one time. If anyone has a suggestion for the simplest and best way of posting pics that would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona. Congratulations on the new smoker.

Jumping in with both feet - welcome to the barrel...
This is a good place, you can learn a lot.
The search function at the bottom of the page is your friend, be prepared to read a long while.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back