There was no good bacon in the house!

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
& hadn't been for a while. Had to fix that.

My local Costco quit carrying pork belly a long time ago.
No biggie... neighborhood carniceria stocks it. Bought 9 lbs.
After removing the skin, was left with 6.5 lbs more or less.

Cut the belly into 3 pieces. Used 1 tbs Morton Tenderquick per pound & a good coating of brown sugar applied to both sides of the pork. Vac sealed each piece & into the fridge. Massaged daily & flipped. Did this for 10 days. 7 days would be OK, but life got in the way. Rinsed in cold water 3 times on the day of the cook. Patted dry, placed on cookie racks in trays & into the fridge for 2 hours (probably should have been 24, but it works). Gave them a good dusting of brown sugar & black pepper just before it went into the 18.5.

PICT6007_zpsl7hwp4wz.jpg

Cooked over a KBB snake with hickory until an internal temp of 145*. Temps held steady at 160* for 3 hours or so & them bumped up to 220* to get them to finish.

PICT6011_zpslyvvp89h.jpg

PICT6014_zpsq7xrehbn.jpg

The top rack took a bit longer - I think the bellies on the bottom blocked the heat.

They got put in ziplocks & then a bath in ice water. & into the fridge. Fried a few pieces for desert last night & had bacon & eggs for breakfast. Mmmmm....
However, the BLT for lunch was the best!

PICT6028_zpsqsuuhxku.jpg

Will slice everything up tomorrow, vac seal & freeze a lot of it.

I started making my own bacon earlier this year and will never be buying bacon in a store anymore (except thin sliced to use for moinkballs :p)

Back