Them bones . . .

cullenbranson

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Cullen
Found a "food" picture setting on my phone, so it's sharing time. And if memory serves there are a few new folks here with a WSM cooker asking for methods and such. Here's my favorite way to cook and eat them bones. Not a lot of pics because posting was an afterthought, but I'll try and hit the highlights.

I cooked these with my WSM 22. I replace my water bowl with a foiled terra cotta saucer. I ball up some foil under the layer of foil to keep an air gap between the foil and the saucer. This helps prevent the dripping fat from burning and becoming rancid. Rolling with some RO Chef's Select and some chunks of hickory and cherry wood. Charcoal ring filled a little over halfway with unlit, wood chunks spread throughout. Dumped a mini chimney load of fully lit coals over the entire ring-full. Reassemble it leaving all vents wide open. Takes about 30-45 minutes with this much charcoal before I close the intakes to about a quarter open. I leave the exhaust vent wide open for all cooks always. Another 15-20 until I get to TBS/invisible smoke.

Skin the ribs, trim excess and hard fat from both sides and lightly coat with olive oil. My favorite rub lately has been a mixture of about 75-25 homemade franken rub - SPOG, white sugar, smoked paprika, cloves, and I forget - and about 25 percent Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust. This stuff is legit! I go a little heavy handed with the rub. Gives me perfect bark and the spice in the HDD really holds up well.

On the smoker for about 2.5 hours. Temp running 250-275 I believe. I normally don't open the lid until at least the 2.5 or 3-hour mark for ribs this size. No wrapping or spritzing. After 2.5 hours they were almost done, and the bark was looking real good. Smelling great and they were starting to bubble a bit - something I look for for doneness.

20180610_113314.jpg

20180610_154350.jpg

Off the smoker at a little over 3 hours and on to the board to rest about 20 minutes.

20180610_144428.jpg

Treated myself to a 12 pack Shiner sampler the other day. This one is their Black Lager. Delish. I'm eating alone so I like to sneak out our fine Chinet.
Plated with some sweet and spicy pickle slices. Great texture and flavor. Loving this HDD rub mixed with stuff. Highly recommend it.

20180610_150522.jpg

20180610_150734.jpg

Happy Sunday folks!

Last edited:
Those ribs look lip smacking good. I love the simplicity of the sweet pickles on the side to offer a different flavor to the dish. Never been a big side dish guy. Nice job.

Thanks for that. I’m one of the new WSM owners you speak of. You just answered a bunch of questions.

Great looking ribs Sir.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, man! You're killing me! I haven't made HDD ribs in a couple years... Damn, I miss them... Great looking ribs, bro!

Back