THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hawkdriver9

Name or Nickame
Dan
Guys

I wanted to say thank you for all the help, I have only been a member here for a short time but I have done a ton of reading here to help me figure out what type of "Q" will fit my needs and what fetchers I wanted VS need in a "real" smoker!!! I've had the cheap electrics (that worked ok) and a cheap off set unit that I put in a lot of time, money and added steel into mods trying to make it work as needed but in the end it never worked very well and was not easy to setup, use or maintain. So now it was time to take the plunge, spend some money and get a real smoker once and for all!!!

So here was what i was looking for= Local builder to support local business if possible, durable well made unit, easy to use, efficient for home use, great smoke flavor, easy temp control, and CHEAP!!! Im not asking for the world here am I ? LOL:wink:

Because I now live in Cali (had to move for my job) my options where limited for finding a local builder, but I think it worked out very well as you will read below. What i got was the "vault" made by Ken at KAT grills. It has the firebox/coals below the smoke chamber with water trays directly above in the chamber for heat and moisture distribution. No pop rivets or metal screws, everything is welded and appears to be very well made and heavy duty (yes I said duty :heh:). I have my order in with Ken and waiting for him to build it. I want to say this up front and please listen carefully, IF Ken's smoker turns out to be half as nice as it is to work with him I would be happy at twice the price!!!! He even when back after I made my order and Gave me a Military discount I forgot to get. That is one good guy!!!! easy to talk to and really seems to care about customers! It has been a pleasure working with him!!! I wish all major purchases were this easy and gave me this feeling of confidence of having made the right choice, such pleasurable experience!!!

Just so everyone knows I have no affiliation with Ken what so ever, I found KAT grills through this sight I could not be happier with what I see in his work. the price is so much less than i expected for the quality I'm getting and it looks amazing!! I can weld and I know what quality work is and I couldn't make what he does or even come close to that quality or price, and I for sure couldn't make it look that nice.

thank you all for your honest input here, it really helped me figure out what I needed and what would work for me and my family. when i get my unit I will send pics and let you all know how everything worked out as well as how great the food comes out. I'm sure it will be better then I've ever known. thank you all again

HD9
:typing:

Last edited:
Congratulations! Those look like very nice smokers! Can’t wait to see the pictures!! If you don’t mind me asking, how long before your smoker is supposed be ready? Im doing research on a new smoker myself...

Congratulations! Those look like very nice smokers! Can’t wait to see the pictures!! If you don’t mind me asking, how long before your smoker is supposed be ready? Im doing research on a new smoker myself...

Ken said it would be about 8 weeks, but i thought "no prob, good things are worth waiting for!" I was hoping it might be done sooner cuz I might be getting deployed (again) to one of those sunny beach front locations half what around the world thats all beach and no water (oh the joy):doh:.

I understand why it takes a while, Ken makes a great product and as i said, this smoker isn't made out of pre-fad sheet metal and pop rivets. This is thick real steel and quality welds. BTW Ken is such a nice guy we even talked about my idea for a reverse flow system with a better drip tray, Ken said he would build anything i want but told me a few things i didn't know and why it may or may not work, again he was very honest and didn't want me to waist my money and build my a POS!!! this is why I am saying i really like and trust him!!! Maybe at some point he and I can collaborate on a better grease trap and a gravity system, but thats for another day.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good product just give him a call, I will bet you will be sure you want him to build you something after you talk to him, a really good guy and seems as honest as you will ever find!!

hope that helps

Im one of the few guys that can say i was happy to serve, wasn't crazy about the paycheck but thats life ;P thats one of the best parts of the in the reserves, can have best of both worlds.

Ive been working hard on perfecting perfect timing and temps for great BBQ, well as much as I can with the equipment i have, but now the learning process will be so much fun and Im sure will tease so much better. I feel like a Kid waiting for Christmas

Great post HD9 and Thank You for your Service. You are one of the Folks that keep the USA who we are.

Sounds like you've got a true Pro building you a Great Smoker.

Dan, Always enjoy hearing about a great deal with a stand up builder. Looking forward to those future cook pics.
Thank You for Serving this Nation!

serving my country is actually something I very much enjoyed over the years, paycheck could have been better but nothing is perfect LoL I will say this, going into the military changed my life. some people just see it as a job, others hear a calling, in any case it did change me for the better! I went from a young kid (that was way more immature than i would like to admit) into a leader of young soldiers. One day you realize you're in charge and a lot of things depend on you doing your job, that changes you and for that Im grateful!! thank you all for your support to all of our troops, they need it more than even they know! OK enough about the military, this is about BBq :wink:.

I do have one more question. Does anyone use or would recommend an air feeding/blower system for their firebox? I've seen a couple that screw directly into the ball valve air inlet and it feeds the fire box as needed using temp probs in the cook chamber, some are even wireless or connect to your phone. So which one would you guys recommend? With toys like that there always seems to be cheap version that will work with enough tweaking, or for a bit more you get something easier that works well, or for even more you get all the bells and whistles which are more times than not overkill and you never use all the extra fetchers. So I'm looking for recommendation, which unit is good quality with all the fetchers you want without paying for the extra BS I wont use?

thanks again for sharing the knowledge and experience!

HD9

Back