the musings of a pellet pooper

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
soooooo I found a traeger tailgater at home depot for $175. there was a mix up, long story short, I got 4 bags of pellets free :thumb:

worst case I can sell it when I'm done with it for about what I paid. I got it home and ready to go. threw on some ribs and then this happened

so now we cook under the front porch awning

this isn't one of those bad arse pellet cookers that sear or cook at the temp you want. it does get the job done.

first cook was ribs.

then a tri tip with corn and potatoes

yesterday I did my first long cook. pork butt seasoned with harvest brine and scored with a sharp knife

we did have a dreaded flame out. conditions were windy and I didn't clean out the cooker from the last cook. pork came out delicious tho

how do I feel about the pellet life?

there's good and bad.

convenience is a big factor. turn it on and set a temp.
color. food just has an appealing look.
clean smoke flavor
capable of low cook temps

dependence on electricity
flame out, never had a pit go dead before that
pellets could be cheaper
this pellet cooker doesn't sear well. roasts and reverse sear need a secondary grill for finishing
temps all over the place on this grill. average temps are ok but 50+- swings (this doesn't bother me too much)

thoughts so far. I like what pellet cookers do. what I have feels like a toy. hoppers too small, pellets cost too much. still worth it for the ease and I prefer a clean smoke. the food has a great color

Looking good man. I have found buying pellets in bulk greatly helps if you have somewhere to store them. I usually use bbqpelletsonline and order a half ton at a time.

Just like Charcoal or lump. stock up when it is on sale.

I don't even think about using the pooper for a sear and choose the right tool for the job.

I don't think I cleaned the burn pot enough when I had the GMG but it did run best when clean and Yoder recommends cleaning it after every use

My Traeger has served me well, I'm sure I wouldn't have done half as many L&S cooks if it weren't for it's convenience. And I have yet to smoke better ribs on my offset then those that come of the pellet grill. I had a flame out once, very windy day. My controllor died on me but that was solved as a warranty case, I swear that it holds temps better with the new controllor.

If mine dies, it will be replaced, probably with something more expensive because I love using it.

Appreciate the review. Making me rethink buying a cheap one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ve really put the GMG-Davy Crockett through the paces. Close to every day since I’ve had it. Puffs and blows like a champ. It easily gets hot enough to grill. It really fits our life right now. No grandkids, son and DIL 400 miles away. So nearly always just wife and I. I’m enjoying maintaining 3 fewer cookers on the patio- and I do miss Tiernan SOB-OG PBC& BGE Mini.

I’ve got the Primo Oval XL- Davy Crockett and Blackstone as my Cookers right now. Nothing’s perfect, but these are solid cookers doing a great job.

Pellet Cookers are pretty cool. With the GMG-DC my goals are more frequent, but smaller cooks. Fresh smoked grilled foods without a ton of leftovers. Bought a 4# Boston Butt yesterday. Cute butt :)

Last edited:
Agree with all that has been said. Got my GMG in April and love it for so many reasons. As a finisher for cold smoking nuts. Adding a touch of smoke flavor to a quick weeknight grill session. For the long cooks. Great stuff!

I’ve really put the GMG-Davy Crockett through the paces. Close to every day since I’ve had it. Puffs and blows like a champ. It easily gets hot enough to grill. It really fits our life right now. No grandkids, son and DIL 400 miles away. So nearly always just wife and I. I’m enjoying maintaining 3 fewer cookers on the patio- and I do miss Tiernan SOB-OG PBC& BGE Mini.

I’ve got the Primo Oval XL- Davy Crockett and Blackstone as my Cookers right now. Nothing’s perfect, but these are solid cookers doing a great job.

Pellet Cookers are pretty cool. With the GMG-DC my goals are more frequent, but smaller cooks. Fresh smoked grilled foods without a ton of leftovers. Bought a 4# Boston Butt yesterday. Cute butt :)

I'm downsizing myself. the akorn and ok joe are going. I'll have the kettle, traeger and uds with 007 swing grate for cooking. I'll keep the Blackstone and big easy too, they don't get much use but have their time to shine

long story short, I got 4 bags of pellets free :thumb:

thoughts so far. I like what pellet cookers do. what I have feels like a toy. hoppers too small, pellets cost too much.

Don't think you'll find any place that will pay you to take their pellets. Sorry, couldn't resist. :biggrin1:

Look for local sales, if I recall, Wally World usually starts their discounts pretty soon. Last year some people were getting bags for $1.

Dang, I thought pellets did all of the prep, clean up and everything with no problems what so ever. I think I distinctly remember reading that here somewhere.

flame out, never had a pit go dead before that
pellets could be cheaper

I've heard of Traegers going out before, from what I've heard, that happens at low temps, but I have no personal experience with them. I've never had a flameout with my GMGs.

Look for end of season clearances on pellets. I've got 40# bags for as low as $1/bag! I use brickseek.com and set an alert to check my local walmart stores.

Food does come out amazing. I'm able to turn out quality Q, and still have time for honeydoos and doing other things I like.

Latest cook on the DC was country style pork ribs. Seasoned with Goya Adobo about 6 hrs before cooking. Smoked at 170° for an hour, then cooked at 225° until I hit an IT of around 160° or so. Deeeeeelicious!

ZiZlkjkh.jpg

Back