THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEW155zYF3A"]Chili Sauce - Morris Day and the Time - YouTube[/ame]

We should listen to this while listening to this.Esp at 5:20

http://youtu.be/vRyssI3AUf4

I love a good hot dog chili and have refined my own recipe down to this and it's fantastic...

1lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bottle of your favorite beer

Preheat a skillet to medium high and add your hamburger meat. Break it up and then add the onion. When the meat starts to brown, add the beer and reduce the heat to medium to reduce most of the beer out of the mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook uncovered until you reach your desired consistency over medium heat. Then cover and simmer on low for an hour. Serve immediately and freeze your leftovers!

That looks great, JM, thanks for posting!

Keep the recipes coming!

Someone sent this to me a while back - it looks pretty authentic, although the only reason I haven't tried it is the prodigious amount of lard:

Original Greek Coney Sauce

1 pound Ground beef
1 cup lard
1 medium Onion(s), diced
1/3 cup Chili powder
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Basil, dried
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION:
To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for about 30 minutes. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
Brown beef, onion and shortening.
Add remaining ingredients.
Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.

Someone sent this to me a while back - it looks pretty authentic, although the only reason I haven't tried it is the prodigious amount of lard:

Original Greek Coney Sauce

1 pound Ground beef
1 cup lard
1 medium Onion(s), diced
1/3 cup Chili powder
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Basil, dried
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION:
To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for about 30 minutes. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
Brown beef, onion and shortening.
Add remaining ingredients.
Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.

It might be good. I think the lard is in there to try and emulate the roll of beef suet that is used in chili bricks. It's basically what makes them a "brick."

No beans and no ketchup. Take a look at this chili sauce. The texture is perfect and the meat fragments are the perfect size and tenderness.

picture.php

I gotta revive this thread, I feel that the chili dog is the highest form of hot dog there is. I am still perfecting my Q, but I am pretty confident my chili dog is the t*ts! I used this chili as a main component on my 2011 entrant into the Great Hot Dog Cookoff and grabbed 2nd place (behind a bulls##t lobster roll hot dog!) and again this year as a main component and snagged 1st place. I have had those dogs in Detroit, the Cinci places like skyline, every hot dog stand in NJ, and countless other chili dogs. Mine is a cross between the Cincinnati style.

chilidogslide.jpg

Well Tailgate, kinda glad you did. I hadn't seen it before. I'm the only one in my family that like hot dogs in any form, but this gives me something else to "play" with, Thanks.

I gotta revive this thread, I feel that the chili dog is the highest form of hot dog there is. I am still perfecting my Q, but I am pretty confident my chili dog is the t*ts! I used this chili as a main component on my 2011 entrant into the Great Hot Dog Cookoff and grabbed 2nd place (behind a bulls##t lobster roll hot dog!) and again this year as a main component and snagged 1st place. I have had those dogs in Detroit, the Cinci places like skyline, every hot dog stand in NJ, and countless other chili dogs. Mine is a cross between the Cincinnati style.

chilidogslide.jpg

Great looking dogs! :clap2:

Here is a chili dog sauce recipe!

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound ground beef heart (optional)
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can reduced sodium beef broth
Chili powder
Black pepper
Granulated garlic
Texas Pete hot sauce
Corn starch

Add the meat to a pot and pour in the tomato sauce and about 2/3 of the broth. Stir the meat to make a slurry. This gives the meat the texture of hot dog chili sauce meat that most of us are used to eating. Don't brown the meat first.

After the pot comes to a simmer, add your seasonings with about 1/4 cup of Texas Pete. The chili should have a nice kick plenty of black pepper and only a hint of chili powder flavor. The richness of the hot dog and other toppings will tone down the heat.

If it's too thin, add a couple of teaspoons of corn starch to some of the reserved broth, mix well and whisk only enough into the chili for it to reach the desired thickness.

Remember, slightly spicy, plenty of black pepper, and only a hint of chili powder.

Serve on hot dogs with mustard, onions and steamed buns.

A revelation!
All the chili dogs Ive seen downunder are red, tomato red and with little beef in them.
Id love to try any...oh heck, ALL of these!
:hungry:

Michigan Dog

Up here around Lake Champaign, especially in Platsburgh, NY, there is a variant that may be of interest to everybody. It more closely resembles a Coney Island and is called a Michigan or Michigan Dog.

Here is a description from Wikipedia.

"A Michigan hot dog, or "Michigan", is a steamed hot dog on a steamed bun topped with a meaty sauce, generally referred to as "Michigan Sauce". The sauce may or may not be tomato-based (but in its contemporary form in Northern New York is not a chili), depending on where the Michigan is purchased. Michigans can be served with or without chopped onions. If served with onions, the onions can either be buried under the sauce, under the hotdog itself, or sprinkled on top of the sauce.

Michigans are a particular favorite in the North Country of New York State, and have been so for many decades. Their popularity soon spread to New York City where they remain a fast food staple. In fact, one of the earliest known advertisements for Michigans appeared in the Friday, May 27, 1927, Plattsburgh Republican.[1]

Michigans are also very popular in Montreal and other parts of Quebec, where the sauce that is put on them is invariably tomato-based and is often simply referred to as "spaghetti sauce". Lafleur Restaurants, a Quebec fast food chain, is known for its Michigans and poutine.

Oddly enough, "Michigan hot dogs" are never referred to by that name in Michigan itself, nor anywhere else in the Midwest. A similar food item, the Coney Island hot dog or "Coney dog", is a hot dog topped with onions and either chili or a beanless chili called coney sauce.

Conversely, the "Coney Island" is not called as such on Coney Island, or anywhere else in New York State; it's called either a "Michigan" or a "Red Hot."

Last edited:
Back